• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Organization of many bird calls by frequency (1 Viewer)

purpleopple

United States
Hi! I hope everyone is doing well. I am new to this and I have recently set out an audio device to record bird sounds and I now have 100s of files of 30-second bird calling sounds. I was wondering if anyone had a program that they used that could sort of these files by frequencies.

Sorry, I don't have an answer for you but I would like to wish you a warm welcome
to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum (y)

We're glad you found us and thanks for taking a moment to say hello. Please join in wherever you like ;)

Hope you will get some answers over the weekend ;)

Hi purpleopple and a warm welcome from me too.

I've moved your post to the Bird Sounds Recording forum, where I think the guys there might be able to advise you.

Meanwhile, I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I hope to hear about all the birds you see and hear when out and about.

Hi purpleopple and a warm welcome from me too.

I've moved your post to the Bird Sounds Recording forum, where I think the guys there might be able to advise you.

Meanwhile, I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I hope to hear about all the birds you see and hear when out and about.
Thank you!

Hi and welcome :)

I am a beginner with little experience but have done some research to find a way to classify bird songs in long recordings.

I tried Kaleidoscope Pro (trial = 2 weeks) to find Tawny olw sounds (800hz). Each file 3h20' and 2 Gb. There are some tutorials to learn the basics. I did some tests and it was ok even with the trial limitations (No Cloud Computing).

kaleidoscope pro

There is a non-license version... but you need the Cluster Analysis and for that you have to get the pro version.

https://www.wildlifeacoustics.com/products/kaleidoscope/kaleidoscope-lite

Hi and welcome :)

I am a beginner with little experience but have done some research to find a way to classify bird songs in long recordings.

I tried Kaleidoscope Pro (trial = 2 weeks) to find Tawny olw sounds (800hz). Each file 3h20' and 2 Gb. There are some tutorials to learn the basics. I did some tests and it was ok even with the trial limitations (No Cloud Computing).

kaleidoscope pro

There is a non-license version... but you need the Cluster Analysis and for that you have to get the pro version.

https://www.wildlifeacoustics.com/products/kaleidoscope/kaleidoscope-lite
Thank you so much for your help!

Hi! I hope everyone is doing well. I am new to this and I have recently set out an audio device to record bird sounds and I now have 100s of files of 30-second bird calling sounds. I was wondering if anyone had a program that they used that could sort of these files by frequencies.

I think you are going to find that this is not as easy a proposition as it may first appear to be. Bird songs are highly complex, and rarely have a single, or even a dominant frequency. You can use the free program Audacity to visualize this using you own audio. Or explore the recordings at the Macaulay Library which have included sonograms.

I'm curious why you want to sort your files this way. I would think sorting by species would be more useful.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back