• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Oriental Dwarf Kingfisher or Rufous-backed Kingfisher? (1 Viewer)

dixonlau

Malaysia
Based on my own google, at first, I concluded it as Oriental Dwarf Kingfisher but based on other resources, it should be Rufous-backed Kingfisher. Some sources mentioned instead Rufous-backed Dwarf-Kingfisher. So I am confused which is which, or perhaps they are all correct?

Taken at Sarawak, Malaysian Borneo, Dec 2020.

resize_resize_PIC-20201215-151849-DSC06319-A7R3a-denoise.jpgresize_resize_PIC-20201215-152115-DSC06330-A7R3a-denoise.jpg

PIC-20201215-141449-DSC06237-A7R3.JPGPIC-20201215-152240-DSC06341-A7R3.JPG

The resource I used included only the name Rufous-backed Dwarf-Kingfisher as a valid species of the three you list.

Niels

The taxonomy of this group has been debated. Most authorities now split Rufous-backed from Oriental, but some may still list it as part of the same species.
Any of the three names you mention (Oriental Dwarf Kingfisher, Rufous-backed Kingfisher or Rufous-backed Dwarf-kingfisher) could be used, depending on which taxonomic list you use.

What has happened to motleyi, the form occurring in Sabah? Is it still considered a valid taxon? It looks a bit like a halfway house between erithaca (Black-backed) and rufidorsa (Rufous-backed), with violet wings, magenta all the way up the back, either a magenta or a maroon crown and sometimes a violet patch at the rear of the ear-coverts. I seem to remember reading that you get intermediate forms as you go further west.

Luckily the OP bird is a fairly straighforward Rufous-backed.

What has happened to motleyi, the form occurring in Sabah? Is it still considered a valid taxon? It looks a bit like a halfway house between erithaca (Black-backed) and rufidorsa (Rufous-backed), with violet wings, magenta all the way up the back, either a magenta or a maroon crown and sometimes a violet patch at the rear of the ear-coverts. I seem to remember reading that you get intermediate forms as you go further west.

Luckily the OP bird is a fairly straighforward Rufous-backed.
Clements has motleyi as part of rufidorsa. It is difficult to figure out what happened in IOC 10.2.

Niels

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back