• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Oriental Skylark? India (1 Viewer)

emilj_j

Netherlands
22/09/2021, Ranthambore National Park

it's a long shot but maybe somebody will be able to identify it, the bird flew up from the ground to just few meters and then dived back

Attachments

• DSC_0804.JPG
    DSC_0804.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 47
  • DSC_0805.JPG
    DSC_0805.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 47
it could be any songbird almost to be honest, it looks ok for Skylark, but then it would also be fine for many kinds of bunting, pipit or sparrow.
The short parachute flights fit pipits and larks best I think.
I am having a very hard time seeing a plane in it to be honest : )

cheers,
Gerben

Still not possible for me without seeing beak but it seems to me that it's bit stocky for a pipit. But many larks occur in this region so not possible to ID

Still not possible for me without seeing beak but it seems to me that it's bit stocky for a pipit. But many larks occur in this region so not possible to ID
And the addition that larks, sparrows and pipits are mostly Ided while they are foraging (they are mostly seen that way or are displaying where we can Id by sound). So its best to leave as lark/pipit sp.

I think the second image blown up gives you more than the first. I'm not sure what other larks are in the area but I think this looks ok for OS.

1632812137655.png

This region (Western India) has a good diversity of Larks. Eg- Twany, Bimaculated, Ashy and Black Crowned Sparrow Larks, Crested, Greater Hoopoe, Desert, Sand, Rufous-Tailed, etc.

it could be any songbird almost to be honest, it looks ok for Skylark, but then it would also be fine for many kinds of bunting, pipit or sparrow.
The short parachute flights fit pipits and larks best I think.
I am having a very hard time seeing a plane in it to be honest : )

cheers,
Gerben
Hi Gerben,

I was being sarcastic I'm afraid - a horrible English trait - to emphasise the fact that some members expect miracles of identification from poor images.

RB

Hi Gerben,

I was being sarcastic I'm afraid - a horrible English trait - to emphasise the fact that some members expect miracles of identification from poor images.

RB
English sarcasm can be quite trenchant. I am slowly beginning to appreciate the humour over the past few years ..... :D

no worries, my attempt at a dry dismissal of your claim failed miserably clearly... I grew up with British humor and still think it is usually the best. It sounded a bit harsh though.
cheers
H

hi rotherbirder, I presume by "that some members expect miracles of identification from poor images" you meant myself, so I apologize to yourself that you had to deal with my poor image.
luckily, there are many friendly members here who see it differently, and I am thankful to them.
and trust me it was not a plane, I couldn't hear the engines.

cheers
Emil

hi rotherbirder, I presume by "that some members expect miracles of identification from poor images" you meant myself, so I apologize to yourself that you had to deal with my poor image.
luckily, there are many friendly members here who see it differently, and I am thankful to them.
and trust me it was not a plane, I couldn't hear the engines.

cheers
Emil
Well, sometimes miracles do happen in birding!

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back