• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Oriole nectar feeder (1 Viewer)

tkpaul

Has anyone had success using hummingbird nectar in their oriole nectar feeder? Here's my dilemma...It's about time to clean and replace the nectar in my oriole feeder. The nectar I have been using is an 'oriole nectar' which is orange in color that quickly fades to clear after a few days. The only store in my town that sells it is out and doesn't anticipate getting any more in this season. Is there any problem with using hummingbird nectar in my oriole nectar. I know it's all basically a sugar water solution but it may be in different concentrations. I've had orioles try to land on my hummingbird feeder, so I know they would be attracted to it.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Tommy

The orioles are perfectly happy using the same ratio of sugar to water (I use 4:1) that the hummingbirds use. I just wish the oriole feeders I find were truly Bee proof. I quit using my them as I was having way to many Bees committing suicide by getting into the different oriole feeders I've tried.

Thanks, Lisa. After a good cleaning last night, seems things were 'business as usual' this morning.

Tommy

Attachments

• eca14274.jpg
    eca14274.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 102
  • 0fd0efb4.jpg
    0fd0efb4.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 106
Tommy,
That is the same one I use. Is that a Baltimore? I would love to see them one day. We don't get them here, but get the Scott's, Bullock's, and Hooded instead. The bees took about 2 days to figure out how to get into the nectar, and of course could not get out. So many went in they completely filled the bottom and part of the clear plastic. Not good so I tried another that was just as bad.
A lot of people refuse to buy the nectar packets, as it is cheaper to use plain sugar water, don't know about the orange dye but the red in commercial hummingbird nectar is bad for the hummers. They still flock to the feeder with a clear solution, so that might save you some time, money and effort.
Lisa

Yes, it's a Baltimore. All the field guides say we also have the Orchard, but I haven't identified one yet. I have had no trouble with bees but wasps regularly drink from it. Thanks for the heads up on the red dye in the commercial nectar.

Lisa, thanks again for the heads up on the commercial hummingbird nectar. I read several online articles and the home-made stuff at the 4:1 ratio seems to be the way to go. The moderators should post a sticky concerning this subject.

Tommy

Tommy, the sticky is a good idea. There are also a number of posts in the hummingbird forum here that address the issue. They also discuss changing the ratio during breeding and migration. Might be worth taking a look at.
Lisa

The orioles are perfectly happy using the same ratio of sugar to water (I use 4:1) that the hummingbirds use. I just wish the oriole feeders I find were truly Bee proof. I quit using my them as I was having way to many Bees committing suicide by getting into the different oriole feeders I've tried.

Oriole feeders have larger ports than hummer feeders. These large ports allow the bees to easily get inside. Orioles will normally drink from most hummingbird feeders which have smaller ports. You might need ant guards for your hummer feeders.

Oriole feeders have larger ports than hummer feeders. These large ports allow the bees to easily get inside. Orioles will normally drink from most hummingbird feeders which have smaller ports. You might need ant guards for your hummer feeders.

I have the hummingbird feeders that come from wildbirds unlimited. I've put plastic bee guards inside the ports, will take one of the feeders and discard the bee guards and see what happens. I have ant moats for all of my nectar feeders, they do a good job of keeping ants away. The bees took over the jelly and oranges also. Stopped doing the jelly, and have bee watching the orioles fight the bees for the oranges. Thanks for the suggestion.

tkpaul, I use to use a oriole nectar feeder like you have mine always leaked and I also had trouble with bees getting into it, then I seen this one at Fleet Farm here in Minneapolis for only $5.97 since it wasnt much I gave it a try and now I dont have bees or leaks you can see the bee guards. Heres some pictures of it, the pic with the oriole on it was taken through the padio screen door.

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    121 KB · Views: 123
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    181.1 KB · Views: 110
  • 007.JPG
    007.JPG
    113.6 KB · Views: 118
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back