• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Orkneys 17 (1 Viewer)

Mike Tom

Taken in July this year. I think one duck is a tufted duck, by colouring and eye. Is the duck with the chick a pintal , as it seems very light in colour, or is it a mallard. The bird of prey I am hoping is a Hen harrier as I spent a long time waiting for one ! The goose is not a great picture but is this a Grey Lag goose and if so how do you know from this, presumably the inderbelly. Thank you.

Attachments

• DSCF1519.jpg
    DSCF1519.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 74
  • DSCF1560.jpg
    DSCF1560.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 69
  • DSCF1610.jpg
    DSCF1610.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 68
  • DSCF1501.jpg
    DSCF1501.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 75
Agree with your IDs. The geese are Greylags (can see the striking pale grey fore-wings, even from this angle) and the last is possibly a female Gadwall with chick. Another photo might clinch it...

Edit: cross-posted with Andrew. Mallard is the other possibility for #4 but the less robust build still makes me favour Gadwall.

Last edited:
Agree with your IDs. The geese are Greylags (can see the striking pale grey fore-wings, even from this angle) and the last is possibly a female Gadwall with chick.

Edit: cross-posted with Andrew. Mallard is the other possibility for #4 but the less robust build still makes me favour Gadwall.

I would expect to see some orange on the bill for a female Gadwall. The bill colouration seems much better for Mallard to me, being a bit more grey and yellowish in tone. I'm not sure it's possible to judge the robustness from this picture.

I would expect to see some orange on the bill for a female Gadwall. The bill colouration seems much better for Mallard to me, being a bit more grey and yellowish in tone. I'm not sure it's possible to judge the robustness from this picture.

It's just an impression Andrew, and you could well be correct with Mallard. Another picture might sort it...;)

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back