• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ornate Hawk-Eagle Nesting in Chapada-Barzil! (1 Viewer)

An Ornate Hawk-Eagle nest was found in the upper Jamacá Velley, just about 10 minutes from the town of Chapada dos Guimarães, Mato Grosso state, Brazil. The discover was done by our friend the naturalist guide Noam Salztein on a tree in his neighbor farm, and is reliable from Noam's trail, which is already well know for several great forest birding (Band-tailed and Fiery Capped Manakins, etc). One of the adults (probably the male) is full time watching the chick which is just few weeks old. It offers great photo opportunities almost all the time of this amazing species!!!

The searching for this nest started in november 2008 when a dead chick that I identified by photos as a few weeks old Ornate Hawk-Eagle was found in the Noam Salztein trail by Mario Friedlander. So there was a nest near by. In the first week of January Noam found the nest, like we’ve seen happening with Harpy Eagles in Alta Floresta, if the chick dies by some reason, the parents start it again. Just recently Noam found a great angle were we can see so far in 100% of the visits the nest, chick and one of the adults. A phenomena that happens only each 3 years. The chick is likely to depend of parental care up to the age of 15 months. So most of the 2009 trips to the Pantanal/Chapada dos Guimarães should include a visit to nest doable through the “extremely” good Noam’s trail.
Check in my web site pictures of this looooong crested creatures at: www.braziliantropics.multiply.com.
Cheers
Fabiano

Attachments

• Gaviao-de-penacho-close.jpg
    Gaviao-de-penacho-close.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 107
Last edited:
Beautiful! I hope I can visit there some time. Would be interesting to see what prey items they bring. In Manu, Peru, they appear to start out with Macaws then change to Squirrel Monkeys. I dont know what they prey upon here in Costa Rica.

oddities of nature

I have seen ornate odd hawks in Ecuador too....just odd creatures...I think someone told me this was KingHawk or something to that effect...either way, one odd thing like yours.....

Attachments

• Whoa what is it Ecuador.jpg
    Whoa what is it Ecuador.jpg
    201.9 KB · Views: 50
I have seen ornate odd hawks in Ecuador too....just odd creatures...I think someone told me this was KingHawk or something to that effect...either way, one odd thing like yours.....

More accurately it's a King Vulture. Remarkable looking birds as you say.

Hello Fabiano,
excellent picture and very interesting. I have been in Venezuela at Imataca and in the andes and Los Llanos. Our guide Joe Klaiber had a Harpy nest for us with a 3 week old chick. Very beautyful In los Llanos we saw Ornate Hawk Eagle at the river, but not very well. To quick. It was an excellent trip organized by Joe from www.birds-venezuela.de Maybe I take a trip with you next year in Brasil and Panatanal.
Happy birding !!

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back