• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Osprey? SE France Sep 2018 (1 Viewer)

George Edwards

Nom de plume
Is this an osprey? Seen yesterday. I had it down as a Honey Buzzard but second thoughts

Attachments

• Osprey?01.jpg
    Osprey?01.jpg
    227.8 KB · Views: 158
  • Osprey?02.jpg
    Osprey?02.jpg
    221.2 KB · Views: 107
  • Osprey?03.jpg
    Osprey?03.jpg
    205.3 KB · Views: 152
  • Osprey?04.jpg
    Osprey?04.jpg
    185 KB · Views: 137
look at pic 3 and 4 o:D

Quite right, Tom. In my excitement, I forgot to look more closely when I read "light juvenile Honey Buzzard".

I was wondering how much dark a light juvenile's upperwings could have.

no. 4 seems to show dark shafts coming into the light hand, and some dark patterning in the light primary coverts.

... but are these "digital artefacts"?

Last edited:
Light juvenile Honey Buzzard upperwings

Here´s one from Helsinki, Finland today o:)

Attachments

• 2018-09-20_09-09-47_04.ed.1600x1200.JPG
    2018-09-20_09-09-47_04.ed.1600x1200.JPG
    384.4 KB · Views: 97
Here´s one from Helsinki, Finland today o:)

Thank you, Hannu. This individual is fascinating ~ white head, pale rump as it should be on a juvenile, but I had not imagined upperwings to be so dark.

A dark masked eye! to see a long way, all the way from Helsinki.

Any photos of this bird's underwings?!

Here you are!

That's fantastic, Hannu, thank you so much! To now see how pale the bird is, and how dark the upperwings, is really something. I saw a very white juvenile here in Lunigiana on 2nd September, but it was way above me and all the photos were from underneath. These are two beautiful shots you got, congratulations.

Are those Black Storks by your name (are they your avatar)? I can't quite see if there is white with the black.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back