• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Otter (1 Viewer)

Britseye

Still buzzing this evening from seeing my first ever English Otter this morning. As a schoolboy growing up in 70s Britain I was first interested in mammals before I was ever interested in birds, but at the time, rivers in England were considered so polluted there wasn't much chance of seeing an Otter in any of them. I can think of three encounters I had in Ireland; two on Scottish Isles; but all either briefly, distantly or in poor light, so today's episode on the River Wear for half an hour in bright sunlight at nine-thirty am was particularly poignant for me. I had heard from a passer-by back in December that there had been several sightings on this stretch of river in recent years, but didn't think I was putting anywhere near enough time into looking for them over the course of the last two months. It's nice to be wrong every now and again! B :)

Nice, but not too surprising! I saw an Otter swimming in the Tyne between the Metro Bridge and the High Level Bridge (basically, right in the centre of the city) in February - others have seen them around there regularly too :t:

Nice, but not too surprising! I saw an Otter swimming in the Tyne between the Metro Bridge and the High Level Bridge (basically, right in the centre of the city) in February - others have seen them around there regularly too :t:

Not been there in a long while, but just trying to gain a mental image of the location: not much bankside vegetation there, I imagine? And river still fairly wide at that point, too, I should think?

Not been there in a long while, but just trying to gain a mental image of the location: not much bankside vegetation there, I imagine? And river still fairly wide at that point, too, I should think?
None at all! Just a vertical wall straight down into the water; tidal at this point too (so height of the wall varies from about 2 m at high tide, to 6-7 m at low tide). Google street view shows the habitat well (if a bit tilted!) - my otter was exactly at the middle of this viewpoint, quite close in to the wall :eek!:

Remarkable. Thanks for going the extra mile to show the street pic. Not quite as idyllic as the quiet little stretch of River Wear I saw mine on!

That's excellent. So fun.

We have north american river otters in upper Michigan. I guess not even all that rare in certain areas. But I have never seen one. I would love to.

Congratulations on seeing yours!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back