• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Out in Cuba struggling with the warblers any help appreciated (1 Viewer)

Palm Warbler, Cape May Warbler, Palm Warbler, Black-throated Blue Warbler (female), Prairie Warbler, Prairie Warbler, Prairie Warbler, Prairie Warbler

I'm just not getting a Black-throated Blue vibe for No4. The wing-bar looks odd and there appears to be a greyish wash on the hindneck. More suggestive of female Northern Parula.

Stu

I'm just not getting a Black-throated Blue vibe for No4. The wing-bar looks odd and there appears to be a greyish wash on the hindneck. More suggestive of female Northern Parula.

Stu
I can see where you're coming from. I can't make it Northern parula, in large part because the underparts aren't clean white/yellow. I'm unsure what it is though: pine warbler?

I’m wondering if a 1st Winter Magnolia Warbler might fit.
The wing bars are relatively narrow and the under-tail albeit mostly obscured, might just have a contrastingly dark band to a paler white base?
FWIW they do Winter in Cuba.

Cheers

I agree on all others except #4, which is under debate.

Don't think either Magnolia or Parula fit, Magnolia since we can't see any markings on the underparts. I think parula would show more color/brightness to the upperparts and wing bars. In fact, I don't think the very dull wing bar(s), olive upperparts, and general appearance fit any Neotropical warbler.

Perhaps this is a Cuban Vireo? Gray legs fit, but fit other species as well. Cuban Vireo does have such a wing pattern and dull greenish yellow underparts. To me, the tail appears completely dull olive-brown. We can't see the bill at all, but I seem to see a large, dark eye through the foliage. Perhaps there are even pale yellowish lores visible, but I'm much more unsure on that. Even if the lores aren't actually visible, I think everything else fits Cuban Vireo.

Thick-billed Vireo is apparently much rarer in Cuba, and should show two bright white wing bars.

I agree on all others except #4, which is under debate.

Don't think either Magnolia or Parula fit, Magnolia since we can't see any markings on the underparts. I think parula would show more color/brightness to the upperparts and wing bars. In fact, I don't think the very dull wing bar(s), olive upperparts, and general appearance fit any Neotropical warbler.

Perhaps this is a Cuban Vireo? Gray legs fit, but fit other species as well. Cuban Vireo does have such a wing pattern and dull greenish yellow underparts. To me, the tail appears completely dull olive-brown. We can't see the bill at all, but I seem to see a large, dark eye through the foliage. Perhaps there are even pale yellowish lores visible, but I'm much more unsure on that. Even if the lores aren't actually visible, I think everything else fits Cuban Vireo.

Thick-billed Vireo is apparently much rarer in Cuba, and should show two bright white wing bars.
Didn't consider any Vireo species, but looking the picture again, especially due to the eye size seen on the bird, so I'll replace my guess of BTB Warbler to Cuban Vireo.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back