• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Over-wintering Hoopoe in Britain (1 Viewer)

Phil Andrews

It's only Rock and Roller but I like it
United Kingdom
Whilst records of Hoopoe in Britain during the winter months aren't rare, in light of the bird that has been present on the Staffordshire / West Midlands border since the 25th November, how many of these records are actually long-stayers? Have any stayed right the way through to spring?

They are quite tough... In the Netherlands, one survived the very cold winter of 1995–’96 and was seen migrating south in spring! A normal British winter shouldn't be an issue (as long as it's not flushed too much).

In Mike Tyler's 'Birds of Devon' There is a record of one overwintering in Barnstaple from 15th November 1997 until 29th April 1998. Another was recorded at Seaton Hole from 23rd November 1999 until 22nd February 2000.
I remember the Barnstaple bird well - I walked out to see it at lunchtime from work on many occasions!

I thought the hoopoe in a certain West mids area would have left by know.
Its been chased all over the place by people trying to get pictures.
Why when you have 500mm prime lenses do you need to get almost on top of the bird??

The Kingswinford / Hinksford bird was still present this morning, flushed accidentally by a birder but returned when the birder retreated to a safe distance. Feeding very well and apparently being stocked up with mealworms by a local.

Cheers

Only two instances of birds successfully over-wintering in Dorset.

Bournemouth 7th Dec 1992-22 Mar 1993
Hamworthy 23 Jan-19 Mar 2013

Two other instances in recent years in Cambs and Suffolk.

Little Shelford, Cambs 1 Oct 2011-12
Lowestoft, Suffolk 31 Dec 2011-28 Mar 2012

Grahame

Only two instances of birds successfully over-wintering in Dorset.

Bournemouth 7th Dec 1992-22 Mar 1993
Hamworthy 23 Jan-19 Mar 2013

Two other instances in recent years in Cambs and Suffolk.

Little Shelford, Cambs 1 Oct 2011-12
Lowestoft, Suffolk 31 Dec 2011-28 Mar 2012

Grahame

Thanks Graham - very useful

In Hampshire the Felicia Park, Gosport Hoopoe was present during January and February 2006, although I don't have the exact dates.

At the time the bird was considered to be a possible escape from the Isle of Wight and was therefore rejected by the Hampshire Rarities Committee.

Dave W

In Hampshire the Felicia Park, Gosport Hoopoe was present during January and February 2006, although I don't have the exact dates.

At the time the bird was considered to be a possible escape from the Isle of Wight and was therefore rejected by the Hampshire Rarities Committee.

Dave W

Escaping to Gosport from the Isle of Wight - have they lost their minds???

Dave W

Definitively present from 7th Jan to 26th Feb although reportedly it had been there for up the three weeks prior to first news breaking

I seem to recall twitching a wintering bird at Frensham, Surrey back in the '80's but not seeing it! Not got any details as I didn't record much on dips back then, I have still to see a wintering hoopoe in the UK not that I've tried again.

Edit: actually I did see the Warwickshire bird but in April, so doesn't really count

I've passed up more Hoopoes than I care to think about, because they are fairly common and often fairly close to home. Birds close to home do occasionally receive visits from me: quite a few are winterers (more than summerers, for sure!) I suspect they winter (or attempt to) fairly frequently in Southern England.

Frensham Little Pond, Surrey, 8 Jan 1989
Maidenhead, Berks, 25 Nov 1990
Gomshall, Surrey, 26 Feb 1995
Moor Green, Berkshire, 14 Jan 1996
Gosport, Hampshire, 14 Jan 2006

John

Given the Hoopoes feeding method, I'd have thought that a lengthy period of frozen ground would be the main issue rather than the cold itself.

Andy

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back