• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Columbia

Owl followed by a bird (1 Viewer)

snowflk

Canada
Hello,
I saw spotted owl near a creek in Squamish, BC, Canada. There was another bird really close to the owl but I couldn't see it, was already kinda dark. I am wondering what bird it was because the bird followed the owl and making this sound you can hear in the video I took . An app told me it is an American robin, but is it ? I also saw like the bird attack the owl and make the owl fly away again and the bird was following the owl to other spot so I could track the owl for a while because of the sound of the bird, was really loud and same tone/pattern. Is it usual that a small bird attacking an owl and follow ?

Thank you.

Last edited:

delia todd

If I said the wrong thing it was a Senior Moment
Staff member
Opus Editor
Supporter
Scotland
Hi snowflk and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators.

I can't help you with the species, but to answer your question, yes, it it normal for birds to behave like this in the presence of an owl and other raptors too. Usually when they have young to defend.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

Microtus

Maryland USA (he/him)
Supporter
United States
Welcome, snowflk! As Indobirder said, the call in question is the alarm call of an American Robin.
eta: Small birds will follow larger owls (and hawks too) as you describe.

KC Foggin

Super Moderator
Staff member
Opus Editor
Supporter
United States
Hi there and a warm welcome to you (y)
We're glad you found us and thanks for taking a moment to say hello. Please join in wherever you like ;)

During nesting season if a bird sees a predator that could go after its babies, the bird, no matter how small will chase the Owl.

ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Columbia

Users who are viewing this thread