• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Owl Taxonomy Question (1 Viewer)

cuckooroller

The Flammulated Owl - Otus flammeolus.

In all of my text taxonomy books, including the Howard & Moore, this Owl is apparently out of listing sequence and grouped within the Old World Otus species. It's natural range is SW Canada to Mexico and Guatemala.

Both the Sibley-Monroe and the Clement's lists have now placed all of the former Otus species ranging in the New World within genus Megascops. However, strangely this Owl has remained out of listing sequence apparently and still listed by all of the world lists in genus Otus.

Does anyone have any idea why? I am baffled.

According to the AOU: "Marshall and King (1988), König et al. (1999), and Hoyo et al. (1999) all leave flammeolus within Otus, making it the only New World species belonging to the Otus assemblage referred to as subgenus Otus (Hoyo et al. 1999). This treatment is based primarily on the vocal similarity to Old World Otus."
There appear to be many arguments about this treatment many of which are way above my head but if you want to follow them see http://www.museum.lsu.edu/~Remsen/SACCProp58.html

From Lynx HBW:

Lynx HBW said:
Flammulated Owl

Only New World species belonging to the Old World Otus assemblage referred to as subgenus Otus; differs from other New World Otus (subgenus Megascops) in lacking typical trilled song. Probably forms superspecies with O. brucei, O. senegalensis, O. scops, O. sunia.

Thanks All.
Arthur, after I posted the question I started to google on it and found the same proposal of Remsen's list. Interesting reading. I read through it all including the various pro and con regarding this particular Owl. From what I gather the perdurance of this Owl in genus Otus is due presently to a lack of hard research data that would allow it's final disposition either in genus Megascops or in it's own genus. It would appear to be more closely related to Megascops than Scops (senso strictu), but it would appear to be a more basal form related more to Megascops than Scops. At present, there seems to reign the conservative approach of leaving it where it is for now. The voice differences, or in this case, the lack of two well-described vocalizations appear the main reason for treating this bird differently.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back