• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Owls for Merlin (1 Viewer)

Beverlybaynes

Mod Squad
Merlin was recently asking about owning owls in North America -- which you cannot do unless you hold state, federal and falconer's permits.

But that doesn't mean you can't enjoy them!

I had nearly forgotten about this site, but am attaching a link to a site called "The Birds of Madison County". A couple who live near the Killbuck wetlands in Anderson, in central Indiana, maintain this site, changing the photos monthly (it's always a treat to see what they have posted -- their photos are great!).

But over the last several years, they have tracked a family of barred owls in territory quite near their home, from Mama and Papap, through the triplets Homer, Gomer and Roamer, to twins Victoria and Albert.

I clicked through the history this morning, and decided that a lot of you would enjoy seeing these wonderful owls, too. Hope you enjoy the trip and the story!

http://www.fruitjar.org/birds/OwlHist/OwlHist1.html

Fabulous site - thanks for posting it. Owls are perhaps my favourite birds. I have quite a collection of owl ornaments gathered over the years, although I don't have them all on show now - too much dusting!

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! One of the best sites I have been to. I read and looked at the whole Owl story,but did not have time to do the rest yet. The pic of Birds of Madison County is just incredible.

I don't want to detract from the lovely pics of the owls but, isn't the bark on that American Plane tree fantastic. It makes the london Plane tree look positively bland by comparison.

I think so too Steve_nova. The photo shows the true bark color and it is a perfect fit for the lovely Owls home. We have some of those trees near my home and they are striking. Come to think of it,I must take a closer look this spring,I might spot an Owl:gh:

I KNEW you Brits called our Sycamore by another name, but I couldn't think of it! Thanks! I love sycamores too -- and there are several huge examples in my immediate neighborhood -- but so many people think they are such messy trees, shedding bark as they do.

They're very common here -- even appearing in the lyrics of our state song "On the Banks of the Wabash".

Yes, it IS a wonderful site, Merlin. I'm familiar with Ward and June, but frankly had not thought about them for a couple of years. What a terrific site that is! Thanks for posting the link!

Beverley, that website was truly inspirational, lovely idea to track a family of owls like that and to share the experience with others it was super.

Yes Beverly, your Sycamore is the American Plane tree to us (Platanus occidentalis).

Our Sycamore is a Maple (Acer pseudoplatanus).

Your P. occidentalis was crossed with the Asian species P. orientalis to produce the hybrid P. x acerifolia or London Plane.

How confusing!

Hope this hasn't bored anyone to tears?

Steve-nova: I've been trying to pull this out of my memory banks for a couple of days now:

I remember seeing an old photograph, from perhaps the 1890s -- early 1900s, of a giant sycamore tree with a trunk rotted out at the level of the surrounding soil. Yet the tree still lived. This tree was so truly enormous, as was the rotted area, that the picture showed a farmer who had maneuvered his hay wagon with two horses pulling it INSIDE the tree trunk!!!! I cannot imagine a tree of that size.

If memory serves, it was in an area in Adams County, IN, the county just south of here, called Rainbow Bottoms -- bottomland along the Wabash River. It's perfect sycamore territory, and hundreds of sycamore grow along this stretch of river today, although none begin to approach it in size. There's a very small county park there with an old restored covered bridge over the Wabash and exactly one acre of restored tallgrass prairie -- which is why I continue to stop there, looking for birds. Unfortunately, I NEVER see birds there, outside of robins and starlings!!

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back