• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Owls in Midlands? (1 Viewer)

Duck_Pond

Professional Wildlife Photographer And Guide
Scotland
A few years ago there were a pair of Little Owls which lived in a tree out the back of the office block where I worked (nr Warwick), and they were a daily sight. Since moving away from the offices, I've not managed to see one single owl (in the wild) and am wondering if there are any recommended areas for seeing wild owls of any kind in the Midlands?

I'm based in South Birmingham, right on the border of Worcestershire. Does anyone know of areas known to have owls resident?

There used to be one near the Peacock Inn, but I tend to end up in the pub, instead of loitering around outside it, looking for "birds"! That said, I only ever heard that one...

Duck_Pond said:
A few years ago there were a pair of Little Owls which lived in a tree out the back of the office block where I worked (nr Warwick), and they were a daily sight. Since moving away from the offices, I've not managed to see one single owl (in the wild) and am wondering if there are any recommended areas for seeing wild owls of any kind in the Midlands?

I'm based in South Birmingham, right on the border of Worcestershire. Does anyone know of areas known to have owls resident?

There used to be one near the Peacock Inn, but I tend to end up in the pub, instead of loitering around outside it, looking for "birds"! That said, I only ever heard that one...

I've seen Tawny Owl at Bittel Reservoir during the day, the path leading up to the main pool.

They are about all over, I hear them but rarely see them

Yes, there was one calling from the trees next to the Waybridge pub in Alvechurch. Funny that... another pub!

And I could hear one in the woods down the canal from there, on a walk one day, whilst waiting for my car to be serviced. Unfortunately the woods seem to be inaccessible (other side of the canal). I did watch a mink play along the bank that day, which was nice...

Hello mate, there are Long-eared Owls on Cannock Chase (i see them every year, mostly in Spring), the area around the Katyn Memorial/Sherbrook Valley is best (where you see the Nightjars!)
Short-eared Owls seem to winter around Chasewater most years (been 2 or 3 the last 2 years), usually up on Cuckoo Bank which is the hill at the back of the water, but distant views though.
Ive seen plenty of the other 3 species about as well but not really any main sites, i just seem to come across them!

Hope this helps, J.

Quite a few round here (Warwicks/Leics border) There's at least one Tawny in the woods next to our house. Barns are a common sight driving to work in the pre-dawn half light.

You can go up to Cuckoo Bank itself to see the SE Owls, or most winters there are a few around Whitmoor haye/Croxall at Alrewas off A38.
For Barn Owl you may try Aqualate near newport, Shrops. When you see Mere Park Garden centre off the A41, take that turn for a mile, and just after a small bridge turn immediately right...Barn owl often hunts that field. SE Owl by the mere itself also.

i agree- Aqualate is great for barn owls, especially at the moment. very recently i have seen one in the fields between the carpark and the bird hide, and also in fields on the western side of the mere. my parents saw one on sunday,in the shropshire town of newport, from the track that leads from forton road to the end of newport canal, and the bipass. very soon, will be time when the aqulate little owl will start roosting in the trees in the carpark, like it did last year. also, ive frequently heard tawnys at aqualate, although ive never seen one.

Quite a few round here (Warwicks/Leics border) There's at least one Tawny in the woods next to our house. Barns are a common sight driving to work in the pre-dawn half light.
Hi, hope you donโ€™t mind me asking Iโ€™m looking to find a barn owl or tawny Owl to photograph and I live in Coventry. Could you advice me where you have seen barn owls recently or where I maybe able to find some. Thank you

i agree- Aqualate is great for barn owls, especially at the moment. very recently i have seen one in the fields between the carpark and the bird hide, and also in fields on the western side of the mere. my parents saw one on sunday,in the shropshire town of newport, from the track that leads from forton road to the end of newport canal, and the bipass. very soon, will be time when the aqulate little owl will start roosting in the trees in the carpark, like it did last year. also, ive frequently heard tawnys at aqualate, although ive never seen one.
Hi Thank you for that information that is great I will try and get down there over the next couple of weeks. Can you see them all times of day or is it more likely early morning or just before dark I guess is a good time.

Great what is aqualate is it a village or a nature reserve thank you.

Hello mate, there are Long-eared Owls on Cannock Chase (i see them every year, mostly in Spring), the area around the Katyn Memorial/Sherbrook Valley is best (where you see the Nightjars!)
Short-eared Owls seem to winter around Chasewater most years (been 2 or 3 the last 2 years), usually up on Cuckoo Bank which is the hill at the back of the water, but distant views though.
Ive seen plenty of the other 3 species about as well but not really any main sites, i just seem to come across them!

Hope this helps, J.
Hi
Thank you so much I will do my best to get to this area can you see them any time day or night will try and get to cuckoo bank or somewhere where I can put a hide up and wait for them with my camera. Thank you

You can go up to Cuckoo Bank itself to see the SE Owls, or most winters there are a few around Whitmoor haye/Croxall at Alrewas off A38.
For Barn Owl you may try Aqualate near newport, Shrops. When you see Mere Park Garden centre off the A41, take that turn for a mile, and just after a small bridge turn immediately right...Barn owl often hunts that field. SE Owl by the mere itself also.
Thank you for your help will give that a go cheers

Yes, there was one calling from the trees next to the Waybridge pub in Alvechurch. Funny that... another pub!

And I could hear one in the woods down the canal from there, on a walk one day, whilst waiting for my car to be serviced. Unfortunately the woods seem to be inaccessible (other side of the canal). I did watch a mink play along the bank that day, which was nice...
I know that pub I will take a walk along there which direction do you go from the pub is the forest along the canal and do you go left or right to go towards the woods. Thank you

I've seen Tawny Owl at Bittel Reservoir during the day, the path leading up to the main pool.

They are about all over, I hear them but rarely see them
Oh I have walked around bitt reservoir I found it was a nightmare to park round there. Where can you leave your car and have you seen them in the day as well. Thank you for that info ๐Ÿ‘

Hi what area do you live as I donโ€™t live far from Warwick could you point me in the right direction to see tawny and barn owls. Thanks

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back