• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Paint Shop Pro 2019 (2 Viewers)

wilfredsdad

I thought I would post a brief comment regarding Paint Shop Pro 2019 as there does not seem to be much mention of it on Bird Forum.
I have been using the program now for about six months for all my photo processing and I am very pleased with it.
I upgraded to it after using Adobe PhotoShop Elements for a few years and I have found Paint Shop to be every bit as good - if not better - than Photoshop and it is significantly less expensive (and NO CONTRACT - just a one off lifetime purchase - that's a VERY big plus in my book).
My normal work flow is to convert my Canon raw files (cr3) to tiffs using Canon Digital Photo Pro, and then work on them in Paint Shop.
I have found that all of the tools work very well (cropping, resizing, noise removal, levels and colour adjustment, and sharpening, etc.
The user interface is pretty intuitive and the learning curve is relatively easy.
If you have not tried it I would recommend download the trial and give it a whirl.
Be assured I have no connection whatsoever with whoever sells this program - I am just a keen bird photographer ( see my gallery here on Birdforum - all the pics from the last six months were processed with Paint Shop) and I just think this is an excellent program at a far more sensible price than Photoshop.

I thought I would post a brief comment regarding Paint Shop Pro 2019 as there does not seem to be much mention of it on Bird Forum.
I have been using the program now for about six months for all my photo processing and I am very pleased with it.
I upgraded to it after using Adobe PhotoShop Elements for a few years and I have found Paint Shop to be every bit as good - if not better - than Photoshop and it is significantly less expensive (and NO CONTRACT - just a one off lifetime purchase - that's a VERY big plus in my book).
My normal work flow is to convert my Canon raw files (cr3) to tiffs using Canon Digital Photo Pro, and then work on them in Paint Shop.
I have found that all of the tools work very well (cropping, resizing, noise removal, levels and colour adjustment, and sharpening, etc.
The user interface is pretty intuitive and the learning curve is relatively easy.
If you have not tried it I would recommend download the trial and give it a whirl.
Be assured I have no connection whatsoever with whoever sells this program - I am just a keen bird photographer ( see my gallery here on Birdforum - all the pics from the last six months were processed with Paint Shop) and I just think this is an excellent program at a far more sensible price than Photoshop.

Pleased your happy with it,but would like to say if you have been using photoshop elements your statement that paint shop is better than photoshop needs clarifying, photoshop elements is a very heavily reduced version of the true photoshop which is what you get for subscription.

The license for the current version of Photoshop Elements 2020 (as already pointed out not the same things as "Photoshop" in the subscription based creative cloud) sells for CAD$ 99 in our part of the world, some dealer may have it even for less than that. A license for the current version of Paint Shop Pro 2020 sells for marginally less (CAD$89).

Comparing an older "outdated" version of one software with the current version is of limited value,
as both are currently available as 2020 releases.

When comparing what can be compared (PS Elements 2020 vs Paintshop Pro 2020) there is, according to reviews posted online, not a whole lot of difference between the two current versions of both in terms of features and capabilities when processing photos. Price wise both are in the same ballpark as well.
So it comes down to personal choice and preference, and maybe some features offered by one but not the other that add value for the intended use.

Its a useful tool, I run version 9 (about 2004, before Corel got at it ) and 2018, upgrading if it gives me something I actually need. Affinity, latest version is around somewhere as well. As I run Audio and video editing software as well, I tend to try and run updates only when I get something I need to keep the folks who see and hear my output happy.
For me stability and predictability rank very highly. For others its simply ease of getting the results they like or improvement to tools they use.

I suspect that Paintshop Pro meets the needs of many photographers, I used to run full Photoshop once but dropped it when it went subscription based. It simply wasn't cost justifiable for me.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back