• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pajaro Halcon Jacket (1 Viewer)

Stu57

United Kingdom
So I finally decided to purchase the pajaro halcon jacket.

I have been wearing a craghoppers kiwi 3 in 1 jacket but found it didn't breathe very well and i had a sweaty back at times.

Don't get me wrong the kiwi is a very well made jacket and has kept me dry on occasions as well as warm but it's quite heavy.

So I went into my local outdoors store and tried the pajaro halcon jacket large and extra large on.

I was a bit surprised I'm normally a large but it was tight across the chest and under the arms when lifted.

So I tried extra large on nice fit on chest and arms and I can layer up nicely. But it was quite long the bottom of the jackets sits under my backside not quite as long as a parka style jacket though.

I guess I will have to tighten the draw sting on bottom of the jacket and fold up so when in hides I do not sit on the bottom of the jacket

Do any of you own this jacket and if so how does it fit you?

Cheers Stuart

Last edited:
I have found Paramo jackets to be a bit on the small side; I'm a small but I have a Cascada jacket in medium to be comfortable. Fit and finish is excellent but the fabric used for the lining pilled terribly from the off. Robust, hard-wearing and quite heavy and can be too warm for summer use but never got wet through lack of breathability. Paramo jackets certainly seem to 'do what they say on the tin' so long as they are treated as recommended.

RB

I've not tried Paramo in 15 yrs - I had one of their smocks and found it unwearably hot in all but the depths of winter, and found the outer fabric prone to snagging on thorns, but other people seem to love them. They're certainly quiet to wear compared to most membrane based jackets and put together well. Size wise I found them on the small size, but they may have changed since I tried one.

I've not tried Paramo in 15 yrs - I had one of their smocks and found it unwearably hot in all but the depths of winter, and found the outer fabric prone to snagging on thorns, but other people seem to love them. They're certainly quiet to wear compared to most membrane based jackets and put together well. Size wise I found them on the small size, but they may have changed since I tried one.
Hi Richard

I wore it out yesterday for a couple of hours it was just right with a t-shirt and fleece underneath didn't overheat at all.

The build quality is amazing and the materials are so soft and quite. I hope it weather's as well as my trusty old craghoppers kiwi.

Cheers Stuart

I have had a Halcon jacket for a few years.
Extremely comfortable and a good fit (my jacket and I are both XL), lots of space for bits and bibs and a secure pocket for keys, etc.
I did have a major catastrophe in it two years ago. Tripped over some brambles and onto a barbed wire fence. Superficial wounds to hands, arms and face but one of the sleeves was a total write off. My local independent out doors shop is a Paramo dealer and he acted as a go between and organised with the factory (somewhere in England) to replace the whole sleeve. Still fits perfectly and still completely waterproof.

I have had a Halcon jacket for a few years.
Extremely comfortable and a good fit (my jacket and I are both XL), lots of space for bits and bibs and a secure pocket for keys, etc.
I did have a major catastrophe in it two years ago. Tripped over some brambles and onto a barbed wire fence. Superficial wounds to hands, arms and face but one of the sleeves was a total write off. My local independent out doors shop is a Paramo dealer and he acted as a go between and organised with the factory (somewhere in England) to replace the whole sleeve. Still fits perfectly and still completely waterproof.
Hi Mike

Ouch sounded painful but it good to know that the guarantee is honored and it sounds like they really pulled out the stops to get your jacket sorted.

I have registered mine on there Web site and activated the warranty feature it seems pretty good reading up on it.

I think the sizing may be a little off by the sound of things a size up was the way to go and to be honest I don't mind my top layer a little loose. I can fit my down jacket or my snugpak pile shirt underneath if needs be.

I'm loving all the pockets they are huge I can fit my Nikon B700 in the front and I reckon P950 at a push. Books are no problems and my little flask gets swallowed up.

300 quid we'll spent.

Cheers Stuart

I have found Paramo jackets to be a bit on the small side; I'm a small but I have a Cascada jacket in medium to be comfortable. Fit and finish is excellent but the fabric used for the lining pilled terribly from the off. Robust, hard-wearing and quite heavy and can be too warm for summer use but never got wet through lack of breathability. Paramo jackets certainly seem to 'do what they say on the tin' so long as they are treated as recommended.

RB
Hi RB

I think you are right they do come up a bit small.

But I am really happy with the fit on mine it allows me to sit on wet grass with out a wet behind lol.

I take it by pulled you mean snagging it ? I will have to keep this in mind and maybe sling on the old craghoppers if I know the going will be tough.

So the waterproofing and breathability seem to be good on this jacket?.

Cheers Stuart

Hi RB

I think you are right they do come up a bit small.

But I am really happy with the fit on mine it allows me to sit on wet grass with out a wet behind lol.

I take it by pulled you mean snagging it ? I will have to keep this in mind and maybe sling on the old craghoppers if I know the going will be tough.

So the waterproofing and breathability seem to be good on this jacket?.

Cheers Stuart
Yes, waterproofing and breathability are both excellent; never drenched in sweat even when warm. No, not 'pulled', pilled as in rubbed up into little balls by friction against the layer below. Doesn't affect performance but looks naff and shouldn't really do it at the price. My jacket is a cheaper Cascada (may not be made anymore); your Halcon may be different/better in this respect.

RB

Hi RB

Thanks for that I'm going to get out over the weekend and put it through it paces.

Was it the inside lining that pilled up into little balls? I will keep an eye open for anything similar.

I may do a little review in the future after I have worn mine for a while.

I think the halcon is the enhanced version of the highly rated pajaro jacket so fingers crossed I'm as happy as you were with your Cascada.

I will do a search of the Cascada and see if its still for sale out there.

Cheers Stuart

Hi RB

Thanks for that I'm going to get out over the weekend and put it through it paces.

Was it the inside lining that pilled up into little balls? I will keep an eye open for anything similar.

I may do a little review in the future after I have worn mine for a while.

I think the halcon is the enhanced version of the highly rated pajaro jacket so fingers crossed I'm as happy as you were with your Cascada.

I will do a search of the Cascada and see if its still for sale out there.

Cheers Stuart
Yes, it was the lining that pilled. Some think that these jackets are just waterproof shell jackets but they are more than that and are quite heavy, but I find my Cascada to be the perfect field jacket for me, comfort- & pocket-wise. I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on the Halcon.

RB

Yes, it was the lining that pilled. Some think that these jackets are just waterproof shell jackets but they are more than that and are quite heavy, but I find my Cascada to be the perfect field jacket for me, comfort- & pocket-wise. I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on the Halcon.

RB
Hi RB

At least it was inside the jacket the pilled issue occurred and not outside.

The fabric on mine is pretty smooth and quite not much rustling. But definitely looks well built.

I personally think it's a nice all round type of jacket suited to cold but dry days and rainy days but think layering up is definitely required for colder days and nights.

The pockets are amazing they just swallow everything up I believe there are 9 pockets but I will double check this.

The vents on the arms are an amazing touch as is the inclusion of foam strips in the back of the jacket which can be added and removed very easily. These strips are for rucksack or a tripod carrier and add a bit more comfort when carried.

I think you have found your ideal jacket like me it took a while but I love this halcon jacket I think it's going to be my go to jacket moving forwards.

Cheers Stuart

The Cascada is still available and costs about £80.00 less than the Halcon but with less pockets etc. Of course, they're reasonably good on the conscience too as they are produced in Colombia by MIQUELINA, a member of the World Fair Trade Organization.

RB

The Cascada is still available and costs about £80.00 less than the Halcon but with less pockets etc. Of course, they're reasonably good on the conscience too as they are produced in Colombia by MIQUELINA, a member of the World Fair Trade

The Cascada is still available and costs about £80.00 less than the Halcon but with less pockets etc. Of course, they're reasonably good on the conscience too as they are produced in Colombia by MIQUELINA, a member of the World Fair Trade Organization.

RB
Hi RB

That's a nice price I did check out some reviews about the Cascada and it does very well out in the field.

I think by adding a few more pockets in the Halcon and a couple of other tweaks they have marketed it as a birdwatching/photography jacket very clever of them. And It also seems a big seller.

But the Cascada is a nice option especially as its £80 cheaper and performs exactly the same function.

And as you say built to a high standard and is a fair trade product helping the woman in Colombia. Also supporting local social and educational projects. I think that is amazing and very kind of the company.

Cheers Stuart

Paramo have an 'old lines' and 'slight seconds' shop on ebay that's worth keeping an eye on - some really good reductions, particularly if you're in the XS-M range (few larger sizes).
Yeah, I've had some good deals and not recognisably seconds. I got a half price Taiga fleece which is another excellent Paramo garment. Definitely worth a look.

RB

Paramo have an 'old lines' and 'slight seconds' shop on ebay that's worth keeping an eye on - some really good reductions, particularly if you're in the XS-M range (few larger sizes).
Hi Richard

That's me out then I'm rather on the large size at 6ft lol. I may well pick something up for the wife though so will take a look.

Cheers Stuart

Yeah, I've had some good deals and not recognisably seconds. I got a half price Taiga fleece which is another excellent Paramo garment. Definitely worth a look.

RB
Hi Rb

I could do with a new fleece as well so will definitely take a look.

Cheers Stuart

Another excellent manufacturer for outdoor use is Hilltrek, based in Scotland. Instead of membranes, they use old school Double Ventile.
Expensive, but worth every penny in my opinion. I have one of their jackets and it is heavy, but unbeatable for breathability.

Another excellent manufacturer for outdoor use is Hilltrek, based in Scotland. Instead of membranes, they use old school Double Ventile.
Expensive, but worth every penny in my opinion. I have one of their jackets and it is heavy, but unbeatable for breathability.
Hi MIKE

I will take a look at there website site. There may be some comparison reviews on the Web something like Paramo vs Hilltrek may be interesting reading.

Cheers Stuart

Concerning the safety of rain jackets, please check the quality test report before buying one. Due to the fact that the skin is very sensitive. Depending on the jacket's specifications, there are different types of quality issues that can occur. There are some issues that are very significant like the fabric Ph, the color fastness, the evaporation, the wicking performance, and so on.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back