• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Pale Chanting Goshawk ? (1 Viewer)

agnese

Pale Chanting Goshawk ? Namibia

I think this is a Juv of Pale Chanting Goshawk, please, can you confirm ?

Thank you

Attachments

• _MG_1831.jpg
    _MG_1831.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 183
Last edited:

agnese

Sorry, I have tried to edit the title because I have forgotten the location, it doesn't appears in the main title but only on the top of the post. ( Namibia ):C
Thank you very much
agnese

Tib78

Hi there,

It's a Pale Chanting Goshawk indeed.

The underparts pattern fits Pale best: the chest is well streaked and the belly rather uniform (kind of the opposite in DCG: breast usually plainer and belly neatly barred). I also find that in Southern Africa, the rusty coloured underparts of juv/imm Pale is a good indication, juv/imm Dark tend to be darker brown.

The clincher is the undertail pattern: the black bars are broad and well defined, a DCG would show thinner and less distinct bars. Also, the underwing markings strongly points towards PCG, especially the secondaries: the blacks bars contrast sharply against the feathers (on DCG, this pattern is only subdued) and they show a broad black trailing edge. The underwing coverts of juv DCG are delicately and thinely barred, here you can barely make out a pattern.

Lastly, in Namibia, Dark Chanting Goshawk occurs only in the extreme North-East of the country, towards the Caprivi Strip.

njlarsen

Gallery Moderator
Opus Editor
Supporter
Barbados
Beautiful image! Please upload to the gallery here in BF, more members would see and enjoy the image there!

Niels

Users who are viewing this thread