• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pale plover, Thailand (1 Viewer)

RSNaarhus

The attached pictures show a plover from Laem Pakarang, Khao Lak, Phang-nga, Thailand on 21st of February 2020.

The presumed female bird striked me as being very pale and to mee the bill seemed somewhat larger than on the straightforward Kentish Plovers perhaps somewhat resembling the bill of a sandplover. But I might be biased after looking to much on the photos.

Alongside this bird a lot of other plovers were seen, Kentish Plovers, both sandplovers. Pictures of a selection of kentish Plovers from the same place and data can be seen on my blog.

Suggestions so far has been White-faced Plover and Kentish Plover.

To me the bird has quite a lot of resemblance to a female White-faced Plover, see e.g.: https://www.photobirder.net/thailand-2014 or http://www.birdfinding.info/.../02/WhitefacedPlover13.png.

All inputs are very much appreciated.

Attachments

• a (1).JPG
    a (1).JPG
    129.2 KB · Views: 92
  • a (2).JPG
    a (2).JPG
    104.5 KB · Views: 87
  • a (3).JPG
    a (3).JPG
    98 KB · Views: 48
  • a (4).JPG
    a (4).JPG
    98.5 KB · Views: 51
I agree that yours looks like a female White-faced - structure, pale upperparts, broad white collar.

The ones you linked on eBird also look like White-faced.

Are there no one who disagrees with the id of my bird (and the birds from december) being White-faced Plovers which are rare if not very rare in Thailand outside the regular haunts at Laem Phak Bia.

Actually an observation of five White-faced Plovers might be unpreceeded in southern Thailand!

On the Facebook-page "LBJ Lovers Thailand" the following was responsed by a respected thai birder:
"I think they're all Kentish Plovers... some seem to appear paler than others, not sure why. I think the lores and legs are much too dark for White-faced."

Please let me hear any objections to the id as White-faced!

For reference please see my post from December regarding these birds.https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=385063

Nice to see at least one of these birds is still present near the hotel.A male in summer plumage at this site would be nice to clinche the I'd !

All the birds I saw had a small pale patch at the base of the lower mandible at close range.
From the literature I have read this may be diagnostic for White-faced?

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back