• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

pallid or common swift, herefordshire (1 Viewer)

Espen

today I saw a swift at brockhall GPs (while trying for the pec sand for a second time!:cat:, but no luck there) it seemed very early for a swift which is what drew my attention, so, I gave it a good look and took some pics...

seemed to have a nice clean, well defined throat patch which would fit pallid, also, on the pictures it seems quite brown (also good for pallid), it does, however have pointy wings and a very long tail which wouldn't fit pallid, i'm sure it's just an early common which I have payed too much attention too, but please could someone put me out of my misery...:t:

Attachments

• swift1.jpg
    swift1.jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 215
  • swift2.jpg
    swift2.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 87
  • swift3.jpg
    swift3.jpg
    123.4 KB · Views: 236
  • swift4.jpg
    swift4.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 104
  • swift5.jpg
    swift5.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 86
Hi Espen,

From these shots it appears as to be a Common Swift, for me. Finely pointed wings, a long deeply forked tail, and a rather subtle throat patch. I'm sure it would not be safe to judge colour from photographs.

All the best,

Seán.

I have been watching Pallid swifts for much of today and for me this is Common. Wings very pointed, head shape, tail and throat patch all good for common. Sorry!

Just as an aside, I have been watching flocks of Common swift in the company of many visiting birders and many were identified as Pallid on colour. They were all common! Colour, especially in strong sunlight, is for me not reliable. The best ID features have been summarised by the excellent observations of Jane Turner (see link above). Thank you Jane for your input, ID is now much easier than previously and this as made a big difference to accurate identification of this formerly difficult species.

I guess I did sound a bit smug, but here I have the luxury of being able to observe Pallid swift at their nesting sites on the coast and can see them from above, coming straight towards me, entering and leaving the caves, for as long as I want and in excellent light, rather than seeing a fly-over which is, of course, much more difficult.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back