• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Papua and Waigeo Oct 22 (1 Viewer)

In Sorong, we went to visit a patch of forest preserved around the town water supply, and had a surprise - Hill Myna sitting on a treetop next to Yellow-eared Mynas, like on your picture. Escape from the cagebird trade, but surprising to see in relatively wild New Guinea.

Jelaous about the Moluccan Fruit Dove!

Last morning on Waigeo

Up and off early to try for the Crowned Pigeon, I think we had all the locals in the area also trying to find it but no success. Nigel was keen to see the calling Pitta after he again missed a Papuan which just showed fleetingly; where as we wanted to add some last new birds so he went with Royke and did managed to see the Papuan Pitta quite well, we found Sultan’s Cuckoo Dove, Common Paradise Kingfisher, Black-throated Robin, Palm Cockatoo, and then an unexpected Catbird, which we initially thought was the split Tan-Capped but which we eventually agreed was White-eared Catbird the only one seen previously on Waigeo. There were quite a few Honeyeater, including Mimic, Tawny-breasted, Puff-backed and Varied Honeyeater. We also added Rusty Mouse Warbler, Pale-billed Scrubwren, Yellow-bellied and Fairy Gerygone before we met back up with Royke. Final birds of the morning were Raja Ampat Pitohui, Red Bird of Paradise, Yellow-bellied Longbill, Drongo Fantail and Island Leaf Warbler.

We didn’t add anything new on the ferry trip back.

Attachments

• giant hmoth.JPG
    giant hmoth.JPG
    10.9 MB · Views: 17
  • meliphaga waigeo.JPG
    meliphaga waigeo.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 13
  • papuan frogmouth trio.JPG
    papuan frogmouth trio.JPG
    8.1 MB · Views: 13
  • puff backed meliphaga.JPG
    puff backed meliphaga.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 14
  • yellow belied gerygone.JPG
    yellow belied gerygone.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 16
  • yellow billed kingfisher.JPG
    yellow billed kingfisher.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 18
Amazing report, absolute Dream destination.
As you have done both the Papuan and Indonesian part, which would you recommend as an "introduction"?
I think you will probably see more in PNG if you do Varieta (near Port Moresby), Tari or Kumul in the mountains and then Tabubil and Kwatu. We did that with local guides and had our accommodation and flights arranged for us. It was pretty expensive even 10 years ago abd we didn't see much away from the birding areas.
You will probably see less in Papua but with a good local guide you can still get a great a selection of birds and it is much cheaper and probably easier. Someone like Royke could also do all the logistics.

Conclusion

I added 93 lifers (Sarah 89), we saw most of the target birds the only really sought after birds we missed were the Victoria and Western Crowned Pigeon, Arfak Astrapia and Red-bellied Paradise Kingfisher; Papuan Hawk Owl, Spotted Jewel Babbler and Greater Sootty Owl which were heard only would have been great sightings. It would also have been good to have seen the male Masked Bowerbird at his bower which unfortunately wasn’t active. So certainly at the top end of our expectations.

My top 5 birds were Forest Bittern (I never thought I would see this bird), Arfak Catbird, Shovel-billed Kingfisher (finally), Mottled Berryhunter and Wilson’s Bird of Paradise. Sarah’s were Lesser Bird of Paradise, Wilson’s Bird of Paradise, Feline Owlet Nightjar, Western Parotia and Crescent Caped Lophorina (she hates the new name it was Vogelkop Superb BoP).

Attachments

• 20221006_181626.jpg
    20221006_181626.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 23
  • 20221006_175833.jpg
    20221006_175833.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 31
  • 20221006_170550.jpg
    20221006_170550.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 33
  • 20221006_161510.jpg
    20221006_161510.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 33
  • 20220925_090207.jpg
    20220925_090207.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 24
I think you will probably see more in PNG if you do Varieta (near Port Moresby), Tari or Kumul in the mountains and then Tabubil and Kwatu. We did that with local guides and had our accommodation and flights arranged for us. It was pretty expensive even 10 years ago abd we didn't see much away from the birding areas.
You will probably see less in Papua but with a good local guide you can still get a great a selection of birds and it is much cheaper and probably easier. Someone like Royke could also do all the logistics.
Hi David and Sarah,
Amazing report and pictures, really envious.I presume you made arrangements for this trip with a local tour/bird guide.
Since you mentioned you had done PNG several years ago any recommendations for a good guide and local operator?
Appreciate any input thanks.
Vani

Hi David and Sarah,
Amazing report and pictures, really envious.I presume you made arrangements for this trip with a local tour/bird guide.
Since you mentioned you had done PNG several years ago any recommendations for a good guide and local operator?
Appreciate any input thanks.
Vani
Hi Vani

We used Sue Gregory to help put together our itinerary and book local guides and accommodation which worked pretty well we stayed with Sue and her husband Phil (who wrote recent guide for New Guinea and BoP and Satinbird guide). We also stayed with them at Cassowary Lodge near Cairns but when we saw Sue at this years Global Birdfair she mentioned they had moved. Still well worth doing Cairns area if you haven't been before.
Papua New Guinea Archives is there web site.

I attach a trip report which is pretty dated but might give an idea of an itinerary, we didn't do Tari and with hindsight we probably should have.

Attachments

• trip write up PNG.pdf
    2.3 MB · Views: 10
Hi Vani

We used Sue Gregory to help put together our itinerary and book local guides and accommodation which worked pretty well we stayed with Sue and her husband Phil (who wrote recent guide for New Guinea and BoP and Satinbird guide). We also stayed with them at Cassowary Lodge near Cairns but when we saw Sue at this years Global Birdfair she mentioned they had moved. Still well worth doing Cairns area if you haven't been before.
Papua New Guinea Archives is there web site.

I attach a trip report which is pretty dated but might give an idea of an itinerary, we didn't do Tari and with hindsight we probably should have.
Thank you Sarah.
Think Sue and Phil are guides for Sicklebill. I shall contact Sicklebill safaris for an itinerary &quote.
Also got itinerary & pricing from local guides- seems really expensive.

Thanks for the report, it's a great read / addition on this forum.

I was, as others, pretty gobsmacked by the way that Forest Bittern was visible / remained unseen because of the local guide's ID mistake, but that's life I suppose. Greater Melampitta is one of the least heard / seen birds in the world. So like some others on here, I was a bit disappointed you managed to delete pictures of a bird (Greater Melampitta) that I know has only been photographed once in the wild (by Ashley Banwell). At least, that's literally the only picture on the whole internet...

Thanks very much for this report. I'm trying to plan a trip for next year, including West Papua and Sulawesi. Are you able to share Royke's contact information?

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back