• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Papuan or Blyth's hornbills in Numfor (1 Viewer)

mehdhalaouate

It's a bit late to Report this but I think I have to do it.
During my recent trip to Numfor island in the Geelvink Bay, Papua I sighted some huge birds flying across the roads, I couldn't believe my eyes as the birds were nothing else but Papuan hornbills ( 2 birds). The first thing I did is to drive to the nearest village and talked to the locals, they confirmed my sighting and added that they are about 10 birds seen together one time feeding on fruits on one tree, they believe that the birds might have arried to the island from the neighbouring islands of Mios Num or Yapen. Unfortunatelly I didn't manage to get a shot but if anybody is planning a trip to the island of Numfor there is a new species on the list.

Kind regards,
Mehd.

Last edited:

cuckooroller

Mehd,
Didn't know that it had not been recorded. What is the state of Records Committees for West Papua and the various associated Islands?

Lena Halaouate

mehdhalaouate said:
HI STEVE?
WE TRIED TO GET IN TOUCH WITH BIRDLIFE INDONESIA BUT THEY SHOWED NO INTREST IN WHAT WE HAVE TO REPORT AND THEY ARE THE ONLY ORGANISATION WE HAVE? WE DO NOT KNOW OF ANY OTHER. WE HAVE SOME FIRST RECORDS OF BIRD SPECIES IN BIAK AND NUMFOR BUT NOBODY SEEMS TO BE INTRESTED.
REGARDS.
MEHD
SORRY. CAPS LOCK IN COMPUTER IN MARRAKECH. MOROCCO BROKEN.

Mehd,
You have forgotten about the Indonesian Ornitological Society! We even met with Bas van Balen at the OBC-meeting in November.

James Lowther

How about a private message to Tim Allwood? I'm sure he would know organisations which would be interested in those sort of records.
James

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread