• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Parking at Los Cusingos and Villas Rio Mar (1 Viewer)

tah

Will be in Costa Rica in April. We're hiring a 4x4 but understand that it doesn't have a parcel shelf. On one of the days we'll be driving between Savegre and Carara and I was thinking of visiting Los Cusingos or Villas Rio Mar (probably for lunch) enroute. Does anyone know if it's safe to leave luggage on display at either site? I think Villas Rio Mar has secure parking but not sure.
Thanks

DOC REED

Will be in Costa Rica in April. We're hiring a 4x4 but understand that it doesn't have a parcel shelf. On one of the days we'll be driving between Savegre and Carara and I was thinking of visiting Los Cusingos or Villas Rio Mar (probably for lunch) enroute. Does anyone know if it's safe to leave luggage on display at either site? I think Villas Rio Mar has secure parking but not sure.
Thanks

Not sure myself,but Patrick will almost certainly be able to give you the answer!

JJP

Thanks

Luggage is a funny thing. It's not like you can take it somewhere during lunch.

Try not to leave anything like a camera or binocs visible in your car.
Try to park your car where you can see it.
Try to park your car in what appears to be the "common area" for parking.
If you're in a hotel parking lot, ask management if it's safe to leave your car there.
If there's some guy walking around like a second-rate security guard, pay him a couple of dollars to watch your car (you see this a lot when eating at a soda-cafe sometimes).

Everything in your luggage is pretty darn important. I wouldn't take it for granted. There's quite a bit of petty theft in CR.

Last edited:

Birdingcraft

Luggage is a funny thing. It's not like you can take it somewhere during lunch.

Try not to leave anything like a camera or binocs visible in your car.
Try to park your car where you can see it.
Try to park your car in what appears to be the "common area" for parking.
If you're in a hotel parking lot, ask management if it's safe to leave your car there.
If there's some guy walking around like a second-rate security guard, pay him a couple of dollars to watch your car (you see this a lot when eating at a soda-cafe sometimes).

Everything in your luggage is pretty darn important. I wouldn't take it for granted. There's quite a bit of petty theft in CR.

That about sums things up!
Villas Rio Mar seems pretty secure but I would still follow JJPs advice.

tah

Thanks everyone. Will probably do Los Cusingos from Savegre instead.

On a separate issue, our travel company have just advised us that they think we should change from Villa Lapas to other accommodation in Jaco. This is apparently because of bad feedback from clients that visited recently. I'm expecting Villa Lapas to be quite basic and a bit run down with less than friendly staff and food that's just ok. We're inclined to stick with Villa Lapas because it's the trails and birds that are the attraction but would be interested to know if anyone has any recent experience they could share?

Travel company's recommendation is El Paso de las Lapas which looks lovely but a little too spa-ish for us.

Birdingcraft

Thanks everyone. Will probably do Los Cusingos from Savegre instead.

On a separate issue, our travel company have just advised us that they think we should change from Villa Lapas to other accommodation in Jaco. This is apparently because of bad feedback from clients that visited recently. I'm expecting Villa Lapas to be quite basic and a bit run down with less than friendly staff and food that's just ok. We're inclined to stick with Villa Lapas because it's the trails and birds that are the attraction but would be interested to know if anyone has any recent experience they could share?

Travel company's recommendation is El Paso de las Lapas which looks lovely but a little too spa-ish for us.

That feedback mirrors what several people have told me. if you havent tried Cerro Lodge, that place is the top choice for birders visiting the Carara area.

Hamhed

Provided you don't mind the outside bathrooms, and the bugs they allow in.

I've stayed there three times and never felt like bugs were a problem there. For the benefit of tah, here is a picture of the cabins. The open-to-the-sky bathroom is behind the bamboo wall. Unique but a little like a construction afterthought.

Steve

Attachments

• Cerro Lodge cabins.jpg
    Cerro Lodge cabins.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 46

Hamhed

Thanks

When Liz and I went to Los Cusingos, we took a taxi so I couldn't tell you about the parking but it seems to me that it would be pretty secure to do so. Here are pictures of the entrance and the short (approx. 150m) entry road. There were workers there much of the time, including Andres, who speaks very little English but was happy to help us find the Riverside Wren down by the river (where else?). We saw no other visitors during the entire day.
Birding there was really good. We found two ant swarms and the fruit feeders had non-stop action. Hope you do as well -

Steve

Attachments

• Los Cusingos entrance.jpg
    Los Cusingos entrance.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 36
  • Los Cusingos entry drive.jpg
    Los Cusingos entry drive.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 38
  • Andres at window.jpg
    Andres at window.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 38

tah

Thanks for all the help & photos.
We've decided to stick with Villa Lapas as I think it's more suitable than anywhere else in the area. If it were just myself and my husband then we'd probably go with Cerro but we have my parents with us and it's their first trip to the Tropics so I'm trying to make it as comfortable as possible!

kstrating

Tah, you have probably left already, but for anyone else reading, I'm just back from Los Cusingos and Cerro Lodge. Parking at Los Cusingos, as previously stated, is adjacent to the ticket office/gift shop that has staff, so with things out of casual site, I wouldn't worry. Look for white-crested coquette in gardens!

Cerro Lodge, though architecturally interesting, was not my favorite place to stay. The western exposure this time of year rendered the bungalows into ovens at night, and no air con to relieve it. That said, the scarlet macaws in trees around the parking lot almost made up for the sleepless night. Some bungalows are better situated than others, with 8 and 4 being somewhat more shaded than 6. CL will definitely be better when the landscaping grows. Sunsets were lovely.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread