• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Parrots (3 Viewers)

Jaime Gerardo Morin Lagos. A comprehensive mitogenome phylogeny of the avian tribe Arini (Arinae: Psittacidae) with emphasis in Pyrrhura species. Master’s thesis, 2021.

Abstract:

The tribe Arini is the most diverse group of Neotropical parrots, and it includes approximately 158 species distributed in at least 32 genera. These parrots have been largely affected by habitat loss, fragmentation, and the illegal wildlife trade market. In the past, many molecular phylogenies have been inferred based on both nuclear and mitochondrial sequences. However, the evolutionary relationships between some taxa remain unclear, especially within the Pyrrhura genus, the most diverse genus within the tribe. This study used whole-genome shotgun sequencing to obtain mitochondrial genome sequences of 48 Pyrrhura samples, representing 22 Pyrrhura species. Using this data together with all publicly available mitogenome sequences, we inferred the most comprehensive mitogenome-based phylogeny of the tribe Arini. The obtained phylogeny shows better resolved clades and higher support than previous phylogenetic studies of Arini and Pyrrhura. Previous studies categorized Pyrrhura species in three groups, including P. cruentata, the picta-leucotis complex, and the ‘remaining Pyrrhura species’. The evolutionary relationships within the last two groups have been poorly studied so far. Based on our mitogenome phylogeny, we divide the ‘remaining Pyrrhura species’ into the following groups: Clade 1: P. rupicola; clade 2: P. frontalis, P. molinae, P. perlata, and P. lepida; clade 3: P. hoffmani, and P. rhodocephala; clade 4: P. egregia, P. calliptera, and P. melanura. Previous works placed P. albipectus and P. devillei in clades 4 and 2 respectively. On the other hand, the P. orcesi could form an independent clade within the remaining Pyrrhura species. The systematic positions of P. viridicata and P. hoematotis remain a mystery due to lack of data. hoematotis remain a mystery due to lack of data. Finally, a CYTB-CR-based phylogeny was inferred to further study the relationships within the clade 4 of the ‘remaining Pyrrhura species’, finding that P. melanura taxa form two separate clades. The first includes P. melanura taxa from Venezuela: P. m. souancei, P. calliptera, and P. albipectus. The second includes P. melanura taxa from Western South America, P. m. berlepschi, and P. m. pacifica. Moreover, species distribution models (SDMs) provided further support to the isolation of P. m. souancei and P. m. pacifica from the nominal race. Our results suggest that P. melanura subspecies are geographically and genetically separated from the nominal race. Future studies should increase the sample size and involve morphological analysis.

[pdf]

Can probably get it when i get back into the office tomorrow. DM me if you still need it by then.

In the meantime, here's a sneak peak at the tree.

Looks like they recommend a couple of extra families:

Pssitrichasidae and Nestoridae
Those families were originally suggested in the Joseph et al 2012, but they don't seem to have been picked up by others. I do recognize both in my own classification.

Those families were originally suggested in the Joseph et al 2012, but they don't seem to have been picked up by others. I do recognize both in my own classification.

They have tribes Amoropsittacini and Forpini in subfamily Arinae. Joseph et al only had tribes Arini and Androglossini, with a number of genera incertae sedis.

What are the current scientific names of these old binomials appearing in "Œuvres complètes de Buffon" ? These are New World Psittacidae which are all called Perriche in French :

Psittacus gujanensis
P. aeruginosus
P. versicolor
P. virescens
P. anaca
P. smaragdinus
P. rufirostris
P. canicularis
P. aureus
P. makavouana

Last edited:
What are the current scientific names of these old binomials appearing in "Œuvres complètes de Buffon" ? These are New World Psittacidae which are all called Perriche in French :

Psittacus gujanensis
P. aeruginosus
P. versicolor
P. virescens
P. anaca
P. smaragdinus
P. rufirostris
P. canicularis
P. aureus
P. makavouana
New world species of course

OK. At first sight :

OK. At first sight :
Ok thanks. All these species have been grouped under the name "Perriche" by Buffon, but none of them corresponds to Myiopsitta monachus. And for good reason, this species is described in the same volume under the name "Perruche souris" (and "Perruche à poitrine grise" in the Planches enluminées), Psittacus murinus in the "Oeuvres Complètes" (1831), Psittacus monachus in the "Table des Planches enluminées" (1783).

These species were mentioned by Bonnaterre, however the "Perruche souris" of Buffon is here named "Perriche cotorra, ou jeune veuve" Psittacus cotorra (which is now a subspecies of Myiopsitta monachus cotorra)

I come to the conclusion that the correct French name for Myiopsitta is Cotorra, not Perriche. The true Perriche refers to one of the species described by Buffon, but which ? because most are grouped under the name "Conure" (except Brotogeris and Orthopsittaca).

"Perriche" is a generalist name that cannot be attached to a specific taxonomic group, so I have to make an arbitrary decision :

The first species listed by Bonnaterre in his "Tableau encyclopédique" now belong to the genus Brotogeris, thus :

Perriche = Brotogeris
Cotorra = Myiopsitta
The remaining doesn't changes

Last edited:
I don't know which rules you use exactly, which makes it difficult to comment in details.

These may be relevant (or not):
  • The first author I can trace as having used "perriche" was not, actually, Buffon, but Barrère -- first in 1741, then in 1745. Barrère's uses of the name were subsequently quoted by Brisson (1760), who did not adopt it as valid, however.
  • Buffon used "perruche" exclusively for OW species, and "perriche" exclusively for NW species. His use of "Perruche-souris", for Myiopsitta, was because he did not known where the bird was from, and thought that he perhaps recognized it in a vague description of a bird from Mauritius -- i.e., it was based on an error.
  • The text you attribute to "Bonnaterre" in the above ("Perriche cotorra, ou jeune veuve. Psittacus cotorra.", here) was actually written by Vieillot and published in 1823. (Only the 320 initial pages of the first volume of the Tableau encyclopédique et méthodique are from Bonnaterre.) Vieillot (assuming his writings are relevant) had already used the name "perriche" in 1818 ("1817": here).
  • The name "perriche" appeared in quite a few works between Buffon (1779) and Vieillot (1818), either cited from Buffon, or endorsed as part of valid French names. E.g., in 1800: t.10 (1800) - Dictionnaire raisonné, universel d'histoire naturelle - Biodiversity Heritage Library

I don't know which rules you use exactly,
This rule : Les génériques français doivent être appliqués aux groupes d'espèces qui contiennent l'espèce à l'origine du nom, c'est-à-dire l'espèce pour laquelle le nom fut créé ou donné (à condition de pouvoir retracer l'origine de ce nom, bien sûr). You see 🤓
  • The first author I can trace as having used "perriche" was not, actually, Buffon, but Barrère -- first in 1741, then in 1745.
Good to know. Can you trace the current scientific names of the species he cites in his two books?
  • Buffon used "perruche" exclusively for OW species, and "perriche" exclusively for NW species. His use of "Perruche-souris", for Myiopsitta, was because he did not known where the bird was from, and thought that he perhaps recognized it in a vague description of a bird from Mauritius -- i.e., it was based on an error.
Ok
  • The text you attribute to "Bonnaterre" in the above ("Perriche cotorra, ou jeune veuve. Psittacus cotorra.", here) was actually written by Vieillot and published in 1823. (Only the 320 initial pages of the first volume of the Tableau encyclopédique et méthodique are from Bonnaterre.) Vieillot (assuming his writings are relevant) had already used the name "perriche" in 1818 ("1817": here).
I have consulted these books (except the last), hence my doubts. I had read that this name, which is derived from "Perruche", was given to almost all South American species. However, in Buffon's descriptions, despite and because his error, there is nothing that allows the name "Perriche" to be associated with the genus Myiopsitta. So I wonder if the current attribution of this name to the genus Myiopsitta in the French nomenclature would not be an arbitrary decision, in the absence of another name.
Even here, Myiopsitta is excluded from the Perriches. Looks like in those days, authors were copying each other

Last edited:
Can you trace the current scientific names of the species he cites in his two books?

Certainly not for all of them.

The 1741 book was about the natural history of Cayenne, Guyane, and nearby areas, hence included only NW species. In 1745, he included a species that was presumably Psittacula krameri as well. I think he would have used the name for any kind of parakeet.

The species Barrère called "Perriche commune" in 1741 was presumably Pyrrhura picta. (The "Anaca Brasiliensibus Marcg.", which he cited as a synonym, has been argued to be Pyrrhura griseipectus (see Revalidation of Pyrrhura Anaca (Gmelin, 1788), Northeastern Brazil (Psittaciformes: Psittacidae). | Teixeira | Revista Brasileira de Ornitologia - Brazilian Journal of Ornithology ), but this species is not present in Guyane.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back