• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Passerine ID in Anaheim, CA? (1 Viewer)

Proavis

Hi all, I saw this little bird among a group of warblers, based on overall coloration I think it may be a bushtit. What do you all think?

Attachments

• DSCN2309 3.jpg
    DSCN2309 3.jpg
    178.3 KB · Views: 65

rkj

I think Wrentit too, though this is a paler individual than I usually see. It should be easy to distinguish between Wrentit and Bushtit if you see them with a group of warblers; a Wrentit would be bigger than the warblers, a Bushtit smaller.

DarkFireFalcon

This is a Bushtit. It's not chunky enough for Wrentit, the bill is too small, and they are unlikely to be foraging in the open with a group of warblers. Wrentits are also restricted to more natural shrubby areas, you generally won't see them in small parks or neighborhoods.

rkj

This is a Bushtit. It's not chunky enough for Wrentit, the bill is too small, and they are unlikely to be foraging in the open with a group of warblers. Wrentits are also restricted to more natural shrubby areas, you generally won't see them in small parks or neighborhoods.

Maybe, but the bill seems too large for a Bushtit to me, Wrentits can find their way along brushy stream beds to suburban parks, and I have often seen them check out flocks of warblers and other birds as the flocks pass through their territories.

Users who are viewing this thread