• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Patagonian Bird Tours (1 Viewer)

albatross02

Hello,

this year I plan to go to northern argentina again, but also one week in the south.
My idea was starting in Ushuaia.
Is there any good bird tour guides recommended ?
I prefer penguin but also pelagic birds and waders.

Any recommendation for accomodation ?

How is about transfer in Buenos Aires international airport ?
The plan will be arrive in the morning ( Lufthansa ) and 1,5 hours later there is a plan from internationl airport to Ushuaia.
Is there any chance in this short time. Usually migration and get luggage will take minimum 1 hour ?

Thank You very much.

Best regards
Dieter

Hello,

this year I plan to go to northern argentina again, but also one week in the south.
My idea was starting in Ushuaia.

Just so you know Ushuaia is no where near Patagonia and you will require a day to drive from Ushuaia to points north of the Magellanic Channel. TO reach Rio Gallagoes you will have to cross in and out of Chile and take a ferry, slow going also over a bad road.

Is there any good bird tour guides recommended ? I wil try to get you a couple of names when I get home to my notes but in Rio Gallagoes is Santigo Imberti (and his wife), likely your best bet for Hooded Grebe, Austral Rail and Magellanic Plover.

In Calafate contact Luciano Bernacchi at the Glaciarium. HE can help you or recommend another.

I prefer penguin but also pelagic birds and waders.

Estancia Harberton is the place to see penguins in Ushuaia. TOurs are about 400 Peso for the bus and zodiac to the island. Find Pira TOurs on the dockside or in Ave. St. Martin. HArberton is also perhaps the single most important private whale (bone) collection in the world. You can also rent a vechicle and dive out.
Rumbo Sur also has a boat trip down the channel to Harberton.
YOu will see Magellanic, Gentoo and perhaps the SOlo King.

For King you need to get to Punta Arenas area. See fsexpeditions.com
My understanding is that the Kins are on the island of Tierra del Fuego and you could reach them by vechicle from Ushuaia.

As for Rock Hoppers, you need to go to Puerto Deseado or get a guide that knows of hidden colonies.

Ushuaia is not the place for sea birds. It is something like 60 miles from the large bay that then opens to the Drake Passage. Black-browed albatross, Sooty Shearwater and Magellanic diving-petrels are the only "common" seabirds in the Beagle. You likely should think about Punta Arenas, Rio Gallagoes or a boat trip around Cape Horn.

For shorebirds try San Sebastian and area (on a large bay) and the open barrens north. Lots of termporal wetlands, small lakes and stream that are often full of waders.

Any recommendation for accomodation ?

Ushuaia is full of expensive accomodation. Hostels are genrally full and need to be booked in advance. Try Antarctica Hostel if that is your thing.

The plan will be arrive in the morning ( Lufthansa ) and 1,5 hours later there is a plan from internationl airport to Ushuaia.

That might work on a good day, on a normal day just maybe. Be prepared for Aerolineas flights to be cancelled, delayed, moved forward or to have you seat cancelledic (without notifation). Do not rely on Aerolineas for anything, give yourself some extra time.

In Ushuaia you can contact Marcelo de Cruz (works with Seriema Tours). He can show you all interesting birds in that area. With a car you could drive to northern part of Tierra del Fuego and check some Paragonian species.

(...) in Rio Gallagoes is Santigo Imberti (and his wife), likely your best bet for Hooded Grebe, Austral Rail and Magellanic Plover.

In Calafate contact Luciano Bernacchi at the Glaciarium. HE can help you or recommend another.

Both are excellent guides, specially Santiago Imberti for all the Patagonian specialties.

That might work on a good day, on a normal day just maybe. Be prepared for Aerolineas flights to be cancelled, delayed, moved forward or to have you seat cancelledic (without notifation). Do not rely on Aerolineas for anything, give yourself some extra time.

Good advice above.

When I flew back to BA from Ushuaia, Aerolineas changed my flight from the international airport to the domestic airport (which are far apart) - without notice - and then transferred us by bus.

Thank You very much for all advices.
I was about one month 2010 and 2011 in the north.
report for 2011 just started
http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=219886

Now I want to see also the south, also because I like penguins quite much.
Aeorolines was one idea because I want to avoid transfer in Buenos Aires because I will arrive in the morning.

But if the airline is very unreliable ( maybe like Iberia and Air France ), than I have to check another options. LAN has connections to Rio Gallegos.
Connection via Santiago to Puenta Arenas was another idea, but connections quite bad.

Usually I prefer Star Alliance, because the reliability and service of the airline If You aviod Swiss.
One more benefit is Lufthansa give bonus miles for each flight.
Because this I got much miles for flying business class to Santiago de Chile and back 2009 und first class flight from Sao Paulo home at 2010.

How is areas of Rio Gallegos and Punta Arenas with accomation ( easy or booking in advance needed ) ?
How easy is Punta Arenas reachable from Rio Gallegos or Ushuaia ?

I had an easy time finding accommodation in Punta Arenas when I was there, and the one day out I had with Fantastico sur was great.

Niels

Rio Gallegoes and Punta Arenas are easy to travel between by bus and accomodation is easy. Be warned that border crossing can be slow (hours).

Thank You very much for all informations.

Seems Punta Arenas and Rio Gallegos is a good option.

Very hard to decide for birding place in Argentina.
There are many excellent plae in the north like Karadya, Uruguai, Cruze Caballero, Salto Encountada, Grand Chaco, Copo, Rio Pilcomayo, Banado de Estrella, Mbururuya, Ibera, Gonzales V, Formosa, Yala, Tilcara, Laguna los Pozuelos, El Rey, Tafi de Valley, Calilegua, Cabra Corral ...

Yes Karadya is pretty good. Rained there yesterday afternoon for the first time in 6 weeks. The slaty-breasted rail was so happy it was running around the hostel's lawn!!!!
I was very happyt when the temperature dropped from 35 in the day.

Back to Buenos AIres and lovely weather but not many birds.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back