• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Paxton pits (1 Viewer)

William Lewis

Wishing birdwatching paid the bills.
United Kingdom
Enjoyable morning had up at paxton pits yesterday (29th Jan). A decently sized reserve with toilets and a cafe (check if its open). This being my first visit I probably missed a couple of tricks not knowing the areas where an extra 5 minutes might have yielded more species.

The reserve is made up of former gravel pits and looks to be well managed with plenty of nest boxes up, well marked trails and enough hides and view points to see what's about without disturbing it. The main route around is probably 2/3 miles.

Most of the interest in our visit was on the water with one of the best selections of ducks I've seen for a while. There were plenty of wigeon and gadwall about along with mallards, shoveler (which landed in decent numbers having been absent all morning), tufted duck, a pair of goldeneye which I don't see too often as well as good number of goosander with probably around 10 on the water at once. There were also a couple of Egyptian geese, the usual greylag, many mute swans as well as a couple or 3 herons and a great white egret. Not too much in the way of passerines around, but it was quite a blustery day, also an absence of winter thrushes which seem to have moved through this area quite quickly this winter, i've hardly seen any since november/early December. Raptors consisted of the usual suspects, buzzard, kestrel and sparrow hawk.

All in quite a pleasant reserve with plenty more habitat to explore further up and down the river if time permits.

Will

Enjoyable morning had up at paxton pits yesterday (29th Jan). A decently sized reserve with toilets and a cafe (check if its open). This being my first visit I probably missed a couple of tricks not knowing the areas where an extra 5 minutes might have yielded more species.

The reserve is made up of former gravel pits and looks to be well managed with plenty of nest boxes up, well marked trails and enough hides and view points to see what's about without disturbing it. The main route around is probably 2/3 miles.

Most of the interest in our visit was on the water with one of the best selections of ducks I've seen for a while. There were plenty of wigeon and gadwall about along with mallards, shoveler (which landed in decent numbers having been absent all morning), tufted duck, a pair of goldeneye which I don't see too often as well as good number of goosander with probably around 10 on the water at once. There were also a couple of Egyptian geese, the usual greylag, many mute swans as well as a couple or 3 herons and a great white egret. Not too much in the way of passerines around, but it was quite a blustery day, also an absence of winter thrushes which seem to have moved through this area quite quickly this winter, i've hardly seen any since november/early December. Raptors consisted of the usual suspects, buzzard, kestrel and sparrow hawk.

All in quite a pleasant reserve with plenty more habitat to explore further up and down the river if time permits.

Will
I’ve been there a couple of times to nightingale events. One of the most northerly uk sites for them I believe.

Nice, I bet the place really livens up in summer. Looks like it could have quite a few hobbies about too given the habitat. I'll have to add nightingale to my "to see" or more precisely "to hear" list this year. It's one that's passed me by so far.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back