• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

peanut pests (moth?) (2 Viewers)

horsefly

United States
Thanks Jörn, I had convinced myself that they were Indian Meal Moths. I'll check my peanut supplies more carefuly in future (and my breakfast cereal!).

Encouraged by Mikes comments (thanks), I've put out my first batch of 'larvae enriched peanuts' today. The first suprise was that there were lots more larvae with the frozen peanuts, which indicates that they carried on eating/growing for quite a while after putting in the freezer. I'd put them in a bag, inside another bag which was fortunate as some of them had escaped the first bag.

I'll watch with interest to see if the birds enjoy them.

Thanks all,
Dylan.

Joern Lehmhus

The larva makes fluffy white webbing that clogs up my tube feeder. I use a "squirrel buster" for nut eaters with a wire cage around the tube. I am asking if using hot water to rinse the peanuts would get rid of this pest before storage.

Users who are viewing this thread