• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pellet ID help please (1 Viewer)

Deborah1

Hi. I’ve attached a photo of a pellet found in my garden. Rural, Central NW Brittany. Lots of Buzzards, Kestrels and Sparrowhawks. Some owls - last year a Long Eared Owl in the garden. I think from looking in my book that this is from a Little Owl? But any help appreciated. Thanks.

Attachments

• 081F7854-010C-42FD-A963-01725FF81E02.jpeg
    081F7854-010C-42FD-A963-01725FF81E02.jpeg
    379.6 KB · Views: 9
Measurements would help; so would a dissection of the pellet to see what it contains: Little Owl will be mostly hard insect parts (beetle elytra, etc.), while LEO more small mammal bones and fur. This one looks more like the latter, but tease it apart and it'll be much easier to see.

Fascinating. The pellet is 4cm long. I’ve pulled it apart and attach a pic. It seems to me to be fur and some bones and claws? Do you think it’s more likely to be the LEO rather than Barn or Brown?
Massive vole population here -house backs directly onto permanent pasture and their damage makes gardening difficult. Am hoping to increase/encourage owls. Any advice welcome!

Attachments

• C157ECF0-F8BC-42B4-86A2-BE772C602295.jpeg
    C157ECF0-F8BC-42B4-86A2-BE772C602295.jpeg
    506.6 KB · Views: 13
4 cm sounds about right for either Barn or LEO; individual pellets vary quite a bit in size, but I'd think a Tawny Owl pellet would be larger than that, and Little Owl smaller (as well as being more insect bits). I suspect you'll have to do a stake-out to see which of Barn or LEO.

To attract more - put up dedicated Barn Owl nestboxes for Barn Owls. Old flower trugs put up in dense trees can be used by LEO, but the use rate will likely be lower; most often they use old crow nests.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back