• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Columbia

Penguin books and documentaries (1 Viewer)

Mother_of_birds

United Kingdom
I'm looking for books, documentaries or other useful resources about any/all of the penguin species. I've managed to find a couple of documentaries but not nearly as many as I expected there would be for such a well-liked animal/bird. My book search is going even worse because it's just coming up with children's books or books from Penguin - the publishing company. Hoping you can help me out with some good recommendations!

Manolito

There's a book made by GPS (Global Penguin Society) called "Pinguinos",it's in Spanish though. It covers the natural history and conservation of all the penguins species. It costs around 22 dollars in Argentina.

lgonz1008

United States
These 2 books might be of interest if you want more penguins books for adults/aimed to guide you on where to find the species:

Mother_of_birds

United Kingdom
There's a book made by GPS (Global Penguin Society) called "Pinguinos",it's in Spanish though. It covers the natural history and conservation of all the penguins species. It costs around 22 dollars in Argentina.
Thank you for this recommendation! I managed to find an ebook so I can translate it online which is a bit of a chore but it's exactly what I was looking for.

pbgrebe

Yes, penguins are amazing, endearing birds! I spent a year working in Antarctica and got to see Emperor and Adelie penguins during my time there. Here are a couple of books about the Adelie penguin that I highly recommend:

The Adelie Penguin: Bellwether of Climate Change by David Ainley. I had the chance to meet Ainley during my time in Antarctica. Ainley is the foremost Adelie biologist and this is probably the most informative, authoritative book on this species. THE must read book about the Adelie.

Fraser's Penguins: A Journey to the Future in Antarctica by Fen Montaigne. An excellent book about the plight of the Adelie penguin and what studies of this species is revealing about climate change and how it is affecting the Adelie (Ainley's book also addresses this subject).

I think you will also enjoy Waiting to Fly: My Escapades With the Penguins of Antarctica by Ron Naveen.

JTweedie

Frozen Planet would be worth a watch as penguins feature in this a lot. It's about the wildlife of the polar regions, so not just penguins. Lots of David Attenborough series have penguins in them - Life in the Freezer was the first dedicated to the poles if I remember.

The BBC has done a number of series where they place disguised cameras in amongst wildlife and there was one series dedicated to penguins. Not currently on iPlayer, but it might come back at some point. BBC One - Penguins - Spy in the Huddle

ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Columbia
ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Colombia
ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Colombia

Users who are viewing this thread