• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pentax 65mm (1 Viewer)

I am considering the Pentax 65ED and also the Televue 60. Would be interesting to hear from more users of either scope. From what I read here, sounds like I probably wouldn't go wrong with either scope. However, the Televue is awfully hard not to pick even at the higher price.

birdeast said:
I am considering the Pentax 65ED and also the Televue 60. Would be interesting to hear from more users of either scope. From what I read here, sounds like I probably wouldn't go wrong with either scope. However, the Televue is awfully hard not to pick even at the higher price.
Hey Birdeast, I have the TV 85 and numerous eyepieces, but use the 2" diagonal. I also just aquired the PF80. The TV definitely outperforms the Pentax (and everything else, based on all reviews) but the weight, lack of waterproofing and 90 degree diagonal all make it hard to use in the field. I am very happy with the Pentax for that purpose. Are you considering the newer 45 degree diagonal?

I spoke to Al Nagler the other day and he actually recommended the 60 degree "Everbrite' with the 60 for digiscoping/spotting. If I am not mistaken, this will allow for the image quality to be maintained at its highest with only a reversed (left to right) image.

I know the Televue is not waterproof (neither is my camera), but the small size of the 60 would probably mean it would be very portable and easy to protect. Mr Nagler also said that the 60 image would hold up well against the TV 76 up until dusk where there would be the obvious difference due to objective size.

Why am I keeping it between the PF65 and the TV60? This would be my first scope and I want to try and keep it as light as possible. I also want to have the ability to 'play' with different eyepieces. Honestly, I would love to get my hands on a TV85, am no where near being able to afford one of these guys!

Right now, I think I would get the PF65 if I could get the price I want (I have to pay for shipping to Singapore). It is a money thing. However, if I dont get the price I want with the PF65, I will try to get the local Televue dealer to make a deal that is as close to US pricing as possible.

birdeast said:
I spoke to Al Nagler the other day and he actually recommended the 60 degree "Everbrite' with the 60 for digiscoping/spotting. If I am not mistaken, this will allow for the image quality to be maintained at its highest with only a reversed (left to right) image.

I know the Televue is not waterproof (neither is my camera), but the small size of the 60 would probably mean it would be very portable and easy to protect. Mr Nagler also said that the 60 image would hold up well against the TV 76 up until dusk where there would be the obvious difference due to objective size.

Why am I keeping it between the PF65 and the TV60? This would be my first scope and I want to try and keep it as light as possible. I also want to have the ability to 'play' with different eyepieces. Honestly, I would love to get my hands on a TV85, am no where near being able to afford one of these guys!

Right now, I think I would get the PF65 if I could get the price I want (I have to pay for shipping to Singapore). It is a money thing. However, if I dont get the price I want with the PF65, I will try to get the local Televue dealer to make a deal that is as close to US pricing as possible.

Hi Birdeast,

I acquired a PF65 about six months ago and recoment it. Its waterprooness provides peace of mind here in the moist northern California coast. I don't think it can match the optics of the teleview, but it is very user friendly.

I have 30, 26, 20, 12 and 10 mm eyepieces for it. All work well. My next eyepiece will be the Vixen Lanthanum Zoom.

My old Celestron C90 is also better optically but not very convenient for birding. When my erecting prism and $100 eyepiece fell out of it onto the dirt, I decided I needed something designed for field use!.

If your viewing is limited to fair weather or from a hide with little or no walking I'd go for the Teleview 76 if I could afford it.

Good birding
Jim

I appreciate your opinion and suggestions. However, I think I would be ok with protecting a small scope like the Televue 60 from the elements. As I said earlier, I have no experience with scopes, but if I do go for the Televue, I guess I will have to be very careful with the eyepieces.

When I spoke to Mr. Nagler, I asked him about the TV76 as well. He seemed to indicate that the TV60 would be close in performance to the TV76 except at dusk or other times when light was not abundant. Most of my use will be during mid morning when light should not be an issue. I would like to have a TV76, but the price puts me off. From reading on this forum, I know that digiscoping takes a lot patience and practice. If I find that its not my cup of tea, I would feel much better cutting my losses with a TV60 than a TV76.

I havent completely ruled out the pf65, but the thought of owning a TV is really pushing toward the TV.

The only other scope that I have thought about is the Orion 80ED. I have read a little about the scope and some sky tests against TV85 (I think?). The results were predictably in favour of the TV, but the Orion seemed to do very well....especially considering that it only costs approx. $490. I wish I could read more about this scopes potential digiscoping performance.

Birdeast,

I should not say anything on this topic since I have not seen either scope. However, I have seen bigger T-V and Pentax scopes and enough other scopes to feel confident enough to offer the following. Unless you are very sure that the specific Pentax you would be getting is an exceptionally well-figured sample, you are very likely to be considerably happier with the Tele-Vue. Due to its simpler construction and a different production philosophy, the T-V is much more likely to approach diffraction-limited performance and consequently views which please you at all times and in all circumstances.

Kimmo

hi birdeast . i really think you would be more than satisfied with the pf 65 or the tv 60 i have both of the pentaxes also a pronto . being able to buy so many eye pieces for these is a big plus. i have a nikon fieldscope but you can only use the nikon e p,s in it . i really believe the orion 80 ed which i have owned would be much to big & cumbersome for birding ,tho its a great value for the money.you would also need a larger tripod for it.
good luck brian

Hi,
I also plan to purchase pentax 65mm ED, but it will be used for digiscoping too.
Can you give me some ideas which non Pentax ocular to choose for digiscoping.
Any experiences ?
Will be the 35$ OWL services oculars good for this ?

Bye and thanks.

Peter

Last edited:
Test paterns here yesterday, gone today

sandokan said:
Hi,
I also plan to purchase pentax 65mm ED, but it will be used for digiscoping too.
Can you give me some ideas which non Pentax ocular to choose for digiscoping.
Any experiences ?
Will be the 35$ OWL services oculars good for this ?

Bye and thanks.

Peter

I looked at the test pattern photos and was going to comment but the backup got in the way. Now I can't find the thread.

Anyway, the test photos were interesting in that resolution appeared to be about the same for all of the images but color cast and distortion varied.

We must understand that each image is a product of the camera AND the scope, so its hard to tell (especially with the lost thread) what is being tested.

Barrel and pincushion distortion at the levels shown would not matter for birding unless one was looking at Pale Male on buildings with straight lines.

Both the distortion and color cast are easily correctable with post processing.

If there were a way to standardize the imaging, this kind of test could be a valuable part (emphasis on PART) of an on-line evaluation method.

My Owl Services GSO Superview 20 provides a wide relaxed view for moderate distance viewing. IMO, edge to edge perfetion is nice but not a big factor in birding. One tends to concentrate on the center of the field and the periphery is for detecting motion. I've used the finest scopes and find that I still center the target.

I tend to spend my money on fares to places like Malaysia and Florida insead of ultimate optics.

Happy viewing

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back