• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pentax + Nikon monarch comparison (5 Viewers)

Melalvrz

United States
Hello, I’m looking into getting some binoculars mostly for birding and overall looking at wildlife during field work. I’d be using it manually (no need to be mounted) but need to be waterproof. I’ve narrowed it down to two different ones. I’ve already used 10x42’s before so I know I can easily hold and overall use them, so weight is not an issue.

- Pentax 10x42 6.0 SD WP

- Nikon Monarch M5 10x42 ED WP

Can’t decide on which one to get. Hoping that someone might have any advice or more detailed comparison that could help me decide between these two options. I’m mostly trying to get a sharp view of the animal while using it. Thank you!

I own the Pentax DCF SP wide angle 10x43 and they are my favorites in this range. I owned the 12x42 Monarch M5 binoculars but replaced them with Vortex Viper 12x50 ones. The Pentax model you mentioned sells new for $240 at BH Photo.

Check the reviews by owners on BH Photo. Even if the model has been discontinued the review are still usually available.

All the binoculars being sold today are quite waterproof if dealing with name brands. I used a very inexpensive Bushnell 7x50 on boats out in the ocean for years with no issues and they were usually outside in the cockpit in a bino holder and exposed to the elements.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back