• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pentax PF-100ED General EP Viewing (1 Viewer)

coxhaus

I am looking for a bird viewing eye piece for my Pentax PF-100ED. I have a Nagler 7mm I use for long range bullet holes. The 7mm is too much magnification for general viewing in my opinion. I now need a general purpose eye piece for viewing. Where is the sweet spot for this scope? Should I be looking at a Pentax 20XW or 14XW?
What EP do have and for what purpose?

The 7mm Nagler would be 90x and the 14mm would be 45x at 630 focal lenght. A lot of people use 30x in 60mm -80mm spotters. If your scope takes 90x I would think the 14mm would be ok to see sausages at 400 yds.;) You could always buy a cheaper eyepiece in that range to try.

BTW Welcome to Birdforum!

Last edited:
I am looking for a bird viewing eye piece for my Pentax PF-100ED. I have a Nagler 7mm I use for long range bullet holes. The 7mm is too much magnification for general viewing in my opinion. I now need a general purpose eye piece for viewing. Where is the sweet spot for this scope? Should I be looking at a Pentax 20XW or 14XW?
What EP do have and for what purpose?

I have used both the XW14 & XW20 eyepieces. I still own the XW20 & many here will agree that when these eyepieces are used on any scope that will focus properly, the view will be outstanding .... gwen

I think a lot depends on the type of birding you plan to do. Coastal viewing (i.e. sea watching) requires higher magnifications. For arboreal birding at closer distances, a lower power wider field view is an advantage. The 20 XW at 31.5x and a 2.2˚ field used to be my "leave it in the scope" eyepiece until I went to the even wider field 2" 26mm SWA at 24x and a 2.9˚ field. (See 2" eyepiece thread.) If you haven't tried a 20 XW in your big PF-100, you're in for a real treat. With a 3 mm exit pupil you can nearly "see in the dark" for early morning, late evening, and overcast day viewing. - Bill

I am now thinking a Pentax 20XWwould be the way to go. I guess the 20mm is the widest you can use with 11/4 EP. The 2 inch EP seems to require a modified scope tube and pulling your 2 inch lens apart.
We have a place in the mountains of New Mexico at 9000 feet with tall trees. I would like to sit on the front porch and view a little farther than binocs will go. I have a Gitzo 410R tripod with a Arca swiss monoball head with quick release head. The monoball allows you to set a drag so the scope does not dump on you. It seems to work fairly well with the Pentax 100 scope.
I probably missed it this year as we won’t be up there again until after it gets cold and birds are gone.

I guess the 20mm is the widest you can use with 11/4 EP.
No. Widest FOV can be obtained with a Baader Hyperium 24mm or a Vixen NLV 40mm. Almost as wide as these 2 solutions you have the TV Panoptic or ES 68º 24 mm models (but with pincushion...), most plossls 30 or 40mm, and Telescope Service/Celestron/Meade/other producers 25mm 60º AFOV eps...
I would always want a zoom and there is the 3x 40-60º models of many producers, the new Pentax zoom has 2º more (the Baader zoom doesn't reach focus) and I hope the new Nikon NEP30-60W zoom will reach focus on Pentax scopes...

I also like the 20mm XW in my spotting scopes and the widest FOV I get is with my 20mm Widescan III 1.25" eyepiece with 84 deg AFOV but it does not reach infinity focus.

Attachments

• 6888623541_bc64a183d3_b.jpg
    6888623541_bc64a183d3_b.jpg
    246.4 KB · Views: 224
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back