• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pentax PF80-ED and Nikon D50 D-SLR camera.... (1 Viewer)

tonyaltn

Im looking for a good adapter for this combination, I see Scopetronix makes one with a 40mm eyepiece. Has anyone used the scopetronix adapter? I dont want anything that just places my lens in front of the eyepiece. For around $250 I wish I could try it before I buy it.

This was shot with the camera just hand held up to the lens...I had a cheap tripod when I shot this also, but have since got a big Manfrotto. It was cold this day and I was a little shakey, lol.

Attachments

• DSCN5891-2.jpg
    DSCN5891-2.jpg
    170.2 KB · Views: 246
HI Tonyaltn: I have the PF80 but never used o DSLR. I think your best shot is to use a fixed eyepiece like the Pentax XW20mm that has a 43mm thread. What camera lens do you have?

Camera lens....

mmdnje said:
HI Tonyaltn: I have the PF80 but never used o DSLR. I think your best shot is to use a fixed eyepiece like the Pentax XW20mm that has a 43mm thread. What camera lens do you have?

The lens I will use for this is the NIkon AF DX 18-55mm ED. With the 20x - 60x eyepiece, I can get a full frame image at 55mm as long as the lens is right up to the eyepiece, wich I prefer because without an adapter it helps to hold the camera steady.

This is one of my better shots from when I had my Coolpix 8800, this is as close as I could get before I lost to much quality. I also shot this without the scope to get a feeling of the actual distance, and another thats twice as close...but the image quality is terrible. I cant wait to get the right equipment, the new tripod will help for sure...Im going back to river today to get some new Eagle shots.

Attachments

• DSCN5891-2.jpg
    DSCN5891-2.jpg
    170.2 KB · Views: 212
  • DSCN5900-2.jpg
    DSCN5900-2.jpg
    169.6 KB · Views: 222
  • DSCN5898-2.jpg
    DSCN5898-2.jpg
    135.6 KB · Views: 209
HI Tonyaltn:
I think that lens has a 52mm thread in front. Not being familiar with DSLRs I would suggest the following:
1. Use a F-adapter (available in e-bay) or scopetronix Uni-T adapter 2.5 (Not sure if they will be big enough for the pentax zoom eyepiece)
2. Buy a XW20mm eyepiece and use a 52-43mm sted down ring to connect lens and eyepiece. Not sure how much vignetting you will get.
Let me know wahti you end up doing. I'm interested.

Hello again.
I just checked that camera/combo lens this afternoon. The lens protrudes quite a bit when going from 28 to 55mm, This can present a problem when digiscoping. Additonally the combo is quite heavy and I'm not sute the eyepiece will be able to support the camera/lense combo without an additonal support plate. Jose

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back