• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pentax Worry Free Warranty (1 Viewer)

chartwell99

Since my warranty experience has been limited to two Zeiss experiences, both entirely satisfactory, I was amazed and impressed by my first need for help with a far less expensive binocular from Pentax, specifically for a knocked hopelessly out of alignment 8 x 24 UCF, with sand in the focussing mechanism (these are tough glasses but not up to being dropped onto rocks). Incredibly, Pentax did, in fact, ignore my clumsiness as the cause of the problem, and chose to repair rather than replace, and the effort was flawless. I am a grateful Pentax fan indeed.

Last edited:
That is very good to hear. I have often been considered what type of customer/warranty service I would receive if I ever ran into problems with my Pentax 65 scope. I love it and would prefer not to be without it for it too long should something happen. Speaking of which, how long was the turn around time for the repair?

That is very good to hear. I have often been considered what type of customer/warranty service I would receive if I ever ran into problems with my Pentax 65 scope. I love it and would prefer not to be without it for it too long should something happen. Speaking of which, how long was the turn around time for the repair?

Turnaround was just a little over a month, which is actually remarkable considering the binocular was repaired rather than replaced.

Thank you. I would agree. That is very good turn around time. I have seen anything from a little over a week (Vortex, Meopta) to three months (Zeiss) depending on exactly what is done and where the bin has to be shipped.

"chose to repair rather than replace, and the effort was flawless. I am a grateful Pentax fan indeed."
Nikon's US website tells me to send binoculars to the east or west coast of the US depending on my location and to the west coast in the next paragraph if binoculars are involved. I sholl share my experience with Nikon on the appropriate site.
In view of the aforegoing, rather than visit the Pentax website for an elucidation of Pentax's warranty repair policy, could I ask whether 10x42 DCF WP binoculars from 2001 are covered by the 'worry-free warranty"? My own feeling is that they are not.

If you have the box they came in, ther should be a warranty paper in there. Even if not lifetime, 10 years seems to be the minimum for big brands, some are 25yrs.

I broke the focus knob screw off of my DCF WP 8x42's. The Pentax Worry Free Warranty states that they will repair or replace for $19.95 any binocular purchased in the US since the year 2000. I had to find my receipt, it turns out that I was an early adopter as I bought them in May 1999. So, we will see if they will bend the rules or stick to the letter of the gurantee. I mailed them to the Arizona center last week and due to the USPS tracking feature, I know that they were received on Thursday, Nov. 5. As of tonight, I have not received any contact - neither email nor phone that they have received my package. They did not provide a return authorization or repair number for me to use as a reference even though I emailed and called. I was instructed to pack them well and provide my contact info in the box. I called tonight around 7:20 pm my time but the recording I got indicated that they had closed at 4:30 Mountain Time....so I will call back tomorrow.

I am open to any comments from anyone who has had experience with Pentax repair and I will probably chronicle my experience here on this thread.

After almost a week of waiting, I called Pentax and finally ended up with a very helpful Customer Service Rep. She checked on my return stating that I should have already received a quote. She called back as promised before she closed out her day and indicated that Pentax was going to honor the Worry Free Warranty. So.....now we will see how long it takes for them to repair and or replace and return.

Not Impressed

After acknowledging on 11/12 (received them on 11/5) that my bins would be covered under warranty, I called this morning to check on the progress. Apparently, the bins were at a camera repair shop. They decided that they would have to be shipped to the factory - but did not ship until 11/19. The factory shows that they received them today. NOT impressive at all! It took 2 weeks to decide that they could not repair and would have to go to the factory? I asked how long it would take at the factory - the Customer Service Rep (who was very nice) said it had been running 4 Weeks? This type service is enough to steer me away from Pentax on future buys.

Just called Pentax again. The contact is a camera repair shop that had to send the binocs back to the factory. Now I have been informed that the turn around at the factory is 6 weeks.

IF you are interested in Customer Service, I would steer AWAY from Pentax.

IF you are interested in Customer Service, I would steer AWAY from Pentax.

Me too, definitely. I had a problem with a Pentax point-&-shoot a few years ago. The camera cost about $400 & suddenly stopped functioning one day for no discernable reason after about 13 months of moderate use. I duly shipped it off to Pentax for an estimate via the camera store where it was purchased, hoping since it was only 30 days out-of-warranty for a break on the cost of repair. But no soap, the estimate coming back after a 4-week delay at $250. In the end, I just walked away, tossing the returned camera in the trash on the way out of the store, & bought a Nikon Coolpix somewhere else.

Let me post an end to the saga. First I would like to say that the customer service rep that I worked with at the camera store was excellent. She went above and beyond more than once and expedited my order. It is the amount of time that the repairs seem to take that was frustrating. At any rate, Pentax was as good as their word and honored their warranty. I received the bins yesterday and they are as good or better than new. I just got back from Lowes Home Improvement store where I bought O-rings to fit over the Ocular barrel. If you purchase the O-rings for a DL 15 Delta faucet repair, they will stretch to fit over the eyecup and hold the eyecups up quite nicely. They look like part of the binocular as well - not like some rigged up solution. SO...pretty happy with the overall outcome.

Glad to here it Argon! I know it can be frustrating waiting for service on optics!!! But I will say I know people that have other brands that waited much, much longer to recieve an optic back! Bryce.

It took from 17th of Nov to Dec 17 to repair an eye cup. Before that they had it for a week and did not bother to call me to get the return shipping paid and so on.

Works fine now.

Eye cups are essentially the same in all brands. The Zeiss I had were built stronger, like a tank, but more uncomfortable.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back