• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Peregrine or Hobby Parkgate Wirral UK (August29th) (1 Viewer)

Hi all

Photographed this bird last week but I was only looking through my photos today and couldn't decide if it's a Peregrine or a Hobby.

It was quite far away so I was at the limit of my 300mm lens - and the soft end too - so sorry for the pictures.

At first I thought I was photographing a Kestrel but looking through the photos I suddenly thought 'that's a Peregrine', but then thought 'or could it possibly be a Hobby?'.

Is it one or t'other?

thanks for any help

Attachments

• peregrine or hobby.jpg
    peregrine or hobby.jpg
    213.4 KB · Views: 117
FWIW the silhouettes appear to have more “bulk” than “sleek” thus I’d defer to Peregrine having said that, I’d have thought that you could have lightened them for ID assist?

Cheers

Agree with Peregrine (possibly male) - the comparatively short square tail and chest heavy shape cf Hobby or Kestrel makes silhouette enough for ID of Pere (at least in the UK)

Cheers everyone :t:

@Deb Burhinus Thanks Deb. I did notice the squarish tail but didn't want to jump to any rash conclusions.

@KenM Thanks Ken - lightened images uploaded.

Attachments

• peregrine or hobby lightened.jpg
    peregrine or hobby lightened.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 38
Yes, Peregrine. Oddly enough a similar question was posted during the week, and as on that occasion I've lifted up the shadows in Lightroom (see attached, I hope you don't mind). The head pattern confirms Peregrine, though I think the shape and proportions even in silhouette point to that species.

Attachments

• peregrine or hobby BF.jpg
    peregrine or hobby BF.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back