• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Peru late Nov, Dec 2015 (1 Viewer)

THE_FERN

Opus Editor
Hi Folks

We are finalising plans for a Peru trip between 29th Nov and 21st Dec. There are 2 main blocks and we'd be pleased if you'd join us for either or both of them. Two of us already but it would be good to have another two to 4 people. We already have expert guides, drivers, accommodation etc. lined up.

The outline itinerary is:

Block 1: Carpish Tunnel, Bosque Unchog, Lake Junin, Santa Eulalia, Satipo Road. Key trip for central Peru endemics like pardusco, bay-vented cotinga, Milpo Tapaculo, Black-Spectacled Brush-Finch etc.

Block 2: Peruvian Amazon. Iquitos & surrounds. Endemics like iquitos gnatcatcher, wide variety of amazonian species.

Daily cost will be around $200 per day depending on numbers. Will be slightly higher for lodge nights.

Fernley

What a funny coincidence! We kinda met each other at Santa Eulalia (I think) and the Pariahuanca Road, you seemed a little bit in a rush there ;) My trip report is almost ready, I'll post it in a few days

Cheers Maffong

You're serious? :t:

We met a group at the Pariahuanca road (and I actually remember the group were Germans, but I only spoke to one of your guides).
We were 'ready' with the birds there, and wanted to go to the pass area to try for Royal Cinclodes, so that's why we were a bit in a hurry. I must admit I was very tired that day, too, so I didn't want to end up driving in the dark that day...

I regret we couldn't stay there much longer, as you were the only group of birdwatchers we met in C-Peru! I actually thought you would be staying in the same hotel in Concepción as we did, so I thought we would meet you at night I can't remember meeting any birders in Santa Eulalia, but maybe my memory is bad!

I think those were other birders at Santa Eulalia, we met them again at the Manu Road. Would have loved to talk to you, maybe next time

Cheers Maffong

Sorry to take over this topic, but Dalat send me a PM, and while replying, I noticed his PM box is full so he can't receive any messages. I will reply here:

Hi Dalat

another BF member missed!
And it's amazing where you meet BF members, on the Pariahuanca road of all places!

I wish I spend a bit more time...but as said in the topic, we were still after Andean Ibis (having driven from Concepción in the dark to reach that wooded quebrada, we were eager to see the pass area in daylight).

I remember I talked to the guy walking first (a guide or driver?). I also quickly talked to the guide with the telescope. I don't remember his name, but it sounded very familiar when I heard it. Maybe you can help me out?

I really thought I would meet your group at night, as the hotel owner talked about a big group of birdwatchers arriving that night...

I remember there was one guy with a bigger lens still around your minibuses when we passed. Was that you?

Now I am curious to hear if you have a report or bird list to share? As we sometimes hurried at certain sites, I wonder what we missed...

best regards,

Folks

Looks like we may have a 3rd person now but a 4th would be welcome!

You can see from the replies that it'll be a great trip. So if you are interested in the area this would be a good opportunity.

Cheers

Fernley

Excellent report Lieven.

A question. Do you know anyone who has actually re-found the Royal Cinclodes on the Pariahuanca road after the 2009 paper in Cotinga by Witt and Lane? I have not explored that road hardly at all, except for getting stuck this last February.

As for the Cranioleuca Spinetail above Apaya, I originally was quite sure it was a new taxon we had found (with Mark Tasker), taking into account that the Apurimac river valley appeared to be a good species divider separating the Vilcabamba range from these mountains. However, Dan Lane looked at specimens of ssp weskei in Louisiana and compared with the photos and concluded they we were the same. So perhaps for the time being it is probably best to regard them as weskei of Marcapata Spinetail, with some reservation as I don't think anyone have compared the specimen side by side nor made a vocalization analysis of both populations.
Weskei should probably be split from rufous-crowned marcapatae ssp anyways, and above Apaya is one of the best places to get it.

You may have seen mentioned Mantaro Spinetail in some reports. This refers to the odd calling undescribed form of Azara's Spinetail. It would not surprise me if it is elevated to species when described.
This leaves two odd species-worthy form in between the range of Azara's Spinetail, and require more splits.
I think the re-lump of Elegant, Azara's and Buff-browed was premature. The calls do differ across the range and may not be the true song. Plumage varies considerably.

Saludos and More Birds!

Gunnar

Thanks Gunnar,

regarding the cinclodes, see the paper in attachment. I don't know anybody who saw it except for the authors.

Regarding weskei: they for sure look like weskei and I don't see any reason to re-name them into something like Marcapata Spinetail (this is: anything different from weskei), having seen them on the W-side of Abra malaga before. I haven't got experience with the Rufous-crowned form though (where does that one occur?).

Regarding the Azara's: I am not convinced ... I tried hard to get good pictures and they still looked convincingly good for a normal Azara's, and I didn't get a too different response from my tape than the normal Azara's...

Attachments

• royal cinclodes.pdf
    1.9 MB · Views: 116
Regarding weskei: they for sure look like weskei and I don't see any reason to re-name them into something like Marcapata Spinetail (this is: anything different from weskei), having seen them on the W-side of Abra malaga before. I haven't got experience with the Rufous-crowned form though (where does that one occur?).

Regarding the Azara's: I am not convinced ... I tried hard to get good pictures and they still looked convincingly good for a normal Azara's, and I didn't get a too different response from my tape than the normal Azara's...

Lieven,

Ssp weskei was described from the Western Vilcabamba range. It has lately been found also further south from Satipo road in Ayacucho and at Pacaypata, Cusco, opposite north of the Salcantay massive quite close as the bird flies but behind the glaciers of the marcapatae ssp in the Machu Picchu and Inca Trail area. Checking the songs of the different poplulations on Xeno-canto and Macaulay Library on line, I find strangely enough that the Ayacucho and Pacaypata populations of weskei is closer to ssp marcapatae than the many recordings on Xeno-canto of the Apaya population. Hmm

As of the Azara's Spinetail, the form in the Andamarca drainage calls very different from that of Satipo road itself.

Compare: http://www.xeno-canto.org/species/Synallaxis-azarae?query=ssp:"tax.nov.mantaro"

with: http://www.xeno-canto.org/20700

which is the closest population (close to Villa Rica) with a recording on xen-canto (none from Satipo road itself, alas)

This may in turn again be an undescribed taxon. See the xeno-canto discussion.
http://www.xeno-canto.org/forum/topic/9432

Interestingly, the MaCaulay library holds three recordings restricted with no access supposedly undescribed taxa.

Saludos & More Birds!

Gunnar

Hi Gunnar,

I agree the sound of Azara's is slightly different, but not much. It sounds like a regular Azara's with a fever, to me ;)

As for the Apaya Spinetails, I confusingly thought the ones at Abra Malaga were weskei, too. But those are marcapatae, and I have't seen weskei around Vilcabamba (note to myself: have to go back to Vilcabamba! Another note to myself: I need some more time to study on this...).

I included 2 pictures of the Azara's on the Pariahuanca road, and 3 pictures of the Apaya spinetail...

The wing of Azara's is less rufous, and the tail has more black.

The eyebrow of Apaya is a little less white than weskei in the Peru guide, + black above the eye is a bit more faint / less pronounced + throat is buffy....

Attachments

• IMG_9208.jpg
    IMG_9208.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_9213.jpg
    IMG_9213.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_9497.jpg
    IMG_9497.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_9498.jpg
    IMG_9498.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_9500.jpg
    IMG_9500.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:
Lieven

Dan Lane wrote on Birding Peru June 2007 https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/Birdingperu/conversations/messages/4669:

"I was pleased to discover that MUSM
actually has a specimen (topotypical, no less!) of Cranioleuca
marcapatae weskei, as well as nominate C. m. marcapatae and C.
albiceps (but of the subspecies discolor from Cochabamba). As it turns
out, weskei actually does *not* have a supercilium, and in fact
matches the Mantaro birds rather perfectly! Thus, I suspect those
birds are a northern range extension of this otherwise very poorly
known taxon. I was not able to compare the specimens side by side, but
I will upload a photo to Birdingperu.com which I think shows fairly
convincingly that the Mantaro bird is best considered weskei. Neat!"

http://www.birdingperu.com/picsfile...sfiles/Cranioleuca albiceps.jpg&dimension=550

Additionally Andrew Spencer writes on Oct 5, 2011 on Birdingperu yahoogroup.

"Marcapata Spinetail (weskei)- I had a pair in three different flocks, and got excellent recordings of various vocalizations (http://www.xeno-canto.org/america/browse.php?query=marcapata+weskei). Notably, they all also responded to recordings of the song of nominate marcapatae from Cuzco, though not as strongly as to song of weskei. They did not respond at all to calls of marcapatae, though they did to their own calls notes. Certain versions of the songs of the two taxa sound identical to me, though the primary song types do seem to differ."

Finally, here is a blogpost about some of the new birds found on Satipo road.

Saludos and MORE BIRDS!

Gunnar

Can you give details of guide you are using?
Would he be good for N. Peru
If not can you suggest best guide operation for 21 day birding tour there?
Tx
Colin

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back