• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

PF-65 ed II...I am speechless. (1 Viewer)

Jackson

I am without speech. So I will write.

I bought the 14mm XW eyepiece from the classified section of the forums for $245, and it promptly arrived on Tuesday - really too prompt, since the PF-65 ed II-a (shipped for only $509 from Adorama) didn't show up until Thursday. 48 hours with nothing but that beautiful eyepiece had me drooling like a fat kid at Krispy Kreme (that metaphor isn't offensive, just autobiographical), so when Thursday came, I hopped in my car after school and plowed through a few extra red lights and pedestrians...I'm sure they understood. I was delighted to find a brown UPS box on the front porch as I floated through the door.

I ripped through the packaging like a fat kid opening a Hershey bar (see above) and didn't even stop to pop the bubble wrap before extracting that beautiful tube of rubbery armor, metal, and ED glass. I sprinted to my bed and carefully removed the XW14 from its perch atop my wife's pillow, and with a simple twist, I gazed down in awe as perfection materialized in my hands...the ultimate Pentax combo was finally here, waiting to attach itself to my right eye, and subsequently, my heart.

I simply can't describe the view through this scope. Words fail. Amazingly bright? Ridiculously clear? Phenomenally detailed? The cure for cancer? Nothing is too superlative. The field of view is just mind-blowing. The picture is stunning from edge to edge. The scope is compact, and although the eyepiece is bulky, the combination of the two is surprisingly well-balanced at the tripod plate. The eyepiece reminds me of the first time I saw a wide-screen high-definition plasma television. I only got to enjoy the view for a second or two before tears filled my eyes.

To try to maintain some semblance of objectivity, I should point out a few quirks. The focus isn't anything special, but it's easy to use and well located, and I have never preferred the Swarovski-style focus rings that encircle the entire body anyway. The fine-focus present on the Zeiss Diascope would have been a nice addition, but I'm being nit-picky...I had no problem finding a perfect focus point on every bird I spotted. The XW14 takes a little getting used to, since slightly deviating your eye from the center of the piece will cause a picture loss. Maintaining a good, round image was second nature after thirty minutes or so. After an hour, several people at the pond near my home had also taken a gander...this scope is a magnet. An osprey even swooped down, landed softly on my tripod wand, and took a suspiciously long look at a pelican. I eventually had to ask him to fly aside.

The scope includes a nylon cover that, while not a fancy addition, is certainly functional and a nice freebie that more expensive scopes omit. The zippers are a bit noisy and the straps are poorly positioned, but it's lightweight and fits well. More time in the field will test its worthiness on a long hike where minimalism becomes paramount.

I do quite a bit of backpacking, so the PF-65 was my size of choice. I'll probably purchase the larger version when Pentax re-releases it in an ergonomic body to compete with the superior casings that Zeiss and Swarovski wrap around their larger lenses (I hope that day is coming). But for mountain excursions and long hikes, with occasional digiscoping, the 65 is perfect.

I was about to purchase a Diascope when I saw a random comment in one of the Zeiss threads about what a waste of cash they were compared to the Pentax PF's. While I would never call a Diascope or Swarovski a waste of money, their zoom eyepieces certainly can't compete with the Pentax fixed-view through a 1.25" XW series eyepiece. One could argue that adding a fixed piece to the Swarovski or Zeiss might re-level the playing field, but at that cost (and considering the smaller size), I don't see any reason to pass up the Pentax. I ordered the "ed II" after comparing the original "ed" side by side with the Zeiss and Swaro (both only had zooms), and the difference was undeniable. Although I haven't gone back to compare the original with my ed II, I imagine that the product has only gotten better.

Better View Desired nailed it on the head - the best way to design a great scope is to start at the eyepiece and work forward. Large, fixed eyepieces at (in this case) 28x offer the best of both worlds - ample magnification with an incredible field of view. I'll never go back to a zoom.

Take it from this fat kid - nothing beats this scope.

Krispy Kremes come close.

-Jackson

P.S. - Thanks to everyone here for the excellent discussion. I would never have purchased such an under-hyped product if not for your insight and enthusiasm. Happy birding!

Jackson,

Glad to see the I'm not the only person who's been extremely impressed with the PF65 EDa II! I can relate to the 'tears in the eyes' as I had the same reaction when I first looked through the XW14/PF65 II combination.

I suspect the reason this scope and it's predecessor are under-hyped is partly due to a bad review of the PF80 published in Alula <http://alula.fi/GB/index.htm> in 2002. It seems for many Euro/UK birders this is sufficient cause to write off Pentax scopes; Alula hasn't reviewed any Pentax optics since the PF80 if their website is any indicator.

Coupled with seemingly poor distribution of Pentax scopes in the UK/Euro markets it's apparent that many, if not most, of the birders who dismiss the Pentax scopes have never bothered to looked through one.

Perhaps Kimmo and the other Alula reviewers will pick up the gauntlet and do a test of the PF65 ED II/XW14 and competing 65/66mm scopes with FIXED eyepieces. Or just perhaps they don't want to see the outcome of that test? ;)

cheers
Paul

Last edited:
There have been a number of comments about the Pentax being less than stunning, which might be due to quality control issues. Also they are hard to find in the UK, which is why I passed on one.

Jackson: I notice there is a II attached to the name of your scope? Maybe they have changed the optics recently?

Leif said:
There have been a number of comments about the Pentax being less than stunning, which might be due to quality control issues. Also they are hard to find in the UK, which is why I passed on one.

Jackson: I notice there is a II attached to the name of your scope? Maybe they have changed the optics recently?

Jackson owns the same scope setup as I bought about a month ago. The version II was announced in December 2006, and shipped Jan/Feb 2007.

As far as I've seen none of the Euro/UK press has reviewed the PF65 but there seems be guilt by association flowing on from the PF80. The original PF65 had reworked/improved optics over the PF80. The version II of the PF65 has the optics further modified to improve CA and image sharpness.

cheers
Paul

Last edited:
PaulJacobson said:
Jackson,

I suspect the reason this scope and it's predecessor are under-hyped is partly due to a bad review of the PF80 published in Alula <http://alula.fi/GB/index.htm> in 2002. It seems for many Euro/UK birders this is sufficient cause to write off Pentax scopes; Alula hasn't reviewed any Pentax optics since the PF80 if their website is any indicator.

Coupled with seemingly poor distribution of Pentax scopes in the UK/Euro markets it's apparent that many, if not most, of the birders who dismiss the Pentax scopes have never bothered to looked through one.

Perhaps Kimmo and the other Alula reviewers will pick up the gauntlet and do a test of the PF65 ED II/XW14 and competing 65/66mm scopes with FIXED eyepieces. Or just perhaps they don't want to see the outcome of that test? ;)

cheers
Paul

That review was for the older 80mm Scope with the Pentax 8-24mm Zoom NOT the fixed mag eyepieces. Not many seem to like the Pentax zoom (though I've never used it).

I agree with Paul. It's a tremendously underrated Scope and is extremely good value outside of Europe. Some seem to sniffily dismiss it without , like you say, ever bothering to actually take a look through one.

In the area I live, hunters buy 90% of all sporting optics. A shocking number of them walk up to the sales counter, slap down their credit cards and say "I don't even need to compare. I know it's Swarovski for me." They buy straight bodies without even glancing at angled, and they rarely look at other brands. Most don't even know that fixed EP's exist.

The power of reputation and advertising never fails to amaze me. High school boys looking for sneakers do the same thing with Nikes, but you'd think that people might be a little more thorough when dropping a week or two's salary.

I've heard the quality control complaint too, but I just figured I could send them back to Adorama if there was an issue...none so far.

I have all 3 0f the pentax scopes .Also the nikon fieldscopes [ more money than sense]
They are all exellent & are comparable to the euro scopes i have had & borrowed .
I sometimes think & have mentioned before that there may be a little snobbery involved in purchasing scopes .The EP is probably the most important part of any scope & the pentax XL & XW,S are the equal to any .
Ask any astronomy nut.
My 65 pf is the pre mark 2 model .But its pretty hard to believe the new one could be much better.
Brian.

stuprice68 said:
Some seem to sniffily dismiss it without , like you say, ever bothering to actually take a look through one.

Unfortunately the only UK shop I know that stocks them is Ace Optics in Bath, which was (and is) rather out of the way for me. I can understand UK magazines not reviewing it, on the grounds that it is hard to obtain. But maybe an honest review would encourage more stockists. I like the fact that it takes standard 1.25" eyepieces.

Which eyepiece equates to x 25 wide

O.K. you guys over the pond, you really have to sell this to us cause we are a fussy lot and led by the main players. To convince us will take some doing so Jackson, which eyepiece is going to give me around x 25 and a fairly decent field of view. Thank you

PYRTLE said:
O.K. you guys over the pond, you really have to sell this to us cause we are a fussy lot and led by the main players. To convince us will take some doing so Jackson, which eyepiece is going to give me around x 25 and a fairly decent field of view. Thank you

Pyrtle,

because AFAIK the PF-65EDAII has the same focal length than its predecessor the SMC Pentax XW14 EP would give a magnification of about 28x. XW20 would give 19,5x and XW10 39x. AFOV is 70° with all of them which is very good.

Cheers

Steve

Last edited:
dipped said:
Microglobe stock them in London at a cheaper price than Ace so could be worth investigating ( http://www.microglobe.co.uk/catalog/index.php?cName=spotting-scopes-digisoping-pentax-spotting-scope ). A bit nearer than the West Country. May have to enquire if they stock or will stock the Mk II version.

379 GBP is pretty good value in the UK for an ED Scope. Cheaper than Opticron for sure and with a much better selection of eyepieces. The Opticron equivalent here in Japan (Vixen Geoma Scopes) is generally 30-50% cheaper than the Pentax.

The picture seems to be of the older model. I have this one and it's clearly superior to the Vixen ED Scopes I've looked through.

stuprice68 said:
379 GBP is pretty good value in the UK for an ED Scope. Cheaper than Opticron for sure and with a much better selection of eyepieces. The Opticron equivalent here in Japan (Vixen Geoma Scopes) is generally 30-50% cheaper than the Pentax.

The picture seems to be of the older model. I have this one and it's clearly superior to the Vixen ED Scopes I've looked through.

Any UK birders in the North East are more than welcome to check out my PF65ED Mk1. Unfortunately I don't (yet!) have the XW14, but a promised trip across the pond next fall may just see me bring one back as a holiday pressie unless I get lucky on eBay before then!

John F

dipped said:
Microglobe stock them in London at a cheaper price than Ace so could be worth investigating ( http://www.microglobe.co.uk/catalog/index.php?cName=spotting-scopes-digisoping-pentax-spotting-scope ). A bit nearer than the West Country. May have to enquire if they stock or will stock the Mk II version.

Blimey! I've bought a few things from them. They are in central London near the big Jessops on New Oxford Street. But I'm not so sure they allow testing?

The scope might be US stock, as I bought a Nikon 200mm micro lens from them and it came with a US warranty.

Leif said:
The scope might be US stock, as I bought a Nikon 200mm micro lens from them and it came with a US warranty.

That's the same situation as the PF65 EDa II I bought in Australia. The warranty card had to be sent to Pentax US.

cheers
Paul

MK II - Differences

How does one visually tell a MKII from its predecessor? It would seem that the latest MKII is an improvement from reports on BF, so any potential testers/buyers would be more likely in this one I guess.

Thank you

PYRTLE said:
How does one visually tell a MKII from its predecessor? It would seem that the latest MKII is an improvement from reports on BF, so any potential testers/buyers would be more likely in this one I guess.

Thank you

The only visible change is the new "bling" gold name plate with "II" added to the name. The other changes are modifications to the optics.

http://www.pentaxtech.com/Press/SportOp/70966_PF-65ED_II.jpg
http://www.pentaxtech.com/Press/SportOp/70967_PF-65EDA_II.jpg

be warned these are large (approx 2Mb) hi-res pics!!

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back