• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Philadelphia Vireos? Costa Rica, Dec 2017 (1 Viewer)

alanc

Just an earthbound misfit
England
Going through some old photos and came across these that I think are PV's but would welcome confirmation or correction. All 3 birds at San Jose hotel garden.

cheers alan

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 44
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 44
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 45

alanc

England
Oh dear - now I am more confused. I am not familiar with the breeding cycle of (any) North or Central American birds. With regard to bird #1, would you expect a bird In mid december to still be in juvenile plumage? The illustrations in the normally superb Sibley are rather sketchy as far as Ten, Warbler are concerned, none showing the amount of yellow as shown on my 3 birds and the 1st winter bird illustration doesn't really look like my birds.
I understand that there is always some variation but when looking at Google images (not always reliable) of Philly Vireos, they look more like my birds 2 and 3

thanks everyone for comments so far - hoping someone can shed more light.

cheers alan

THE_FERN

Oh dear - now I am more confused. I am not familiar with the breeding cycle of (any) North or Central American birds. With regard to bird #1, would you expect a bird In mid december to still be in juvenile plumage? The illustrations in the normally superb Sibley are rather sketchy as far as Ten, Warbler are concerned, none showing the amount of yellow as shown on my 3 birds and the 1st winter bird illustration doesn't really look like my birds.
I understand that there is always some variation but when looking at Google images (not always reliable) of Philly Vireos, they look more like my birds 2 and 3

thanks everyone for comments so far - hoping someone can shed more light.

cheers alan
Check the bills. Somewhat different.

stuartelsom

Supporter
United Kingdom
Hi Alanc,

I should have been more accurate. The Tennessee is probably a first-winter bird, but adults and youngsters look very similar in autumn.

I've photographed a number of PV's on my travels, including the second bird shown here which died whilst we were watching it. Anyway, these are autumn birds for comparison with yours, which I hope you find useful.

Stu

Attachments

• Philadelphia Vireo 80031.jpg
    Philadelphia Vireo 80031.jpg
    475.7 KB · Views: 6
  • Philadelphia Vireo 80065 - Version 2.jpg
    Philadelphia Vireo 80065 - Version 2.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 4
  • Philadelphia Vireo 89986.jpg
    Philadelphia Vireo 89986.jpg
    496.8 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_7708.JPG
    IMG_7708.JPG
    888.4 KB · Views: 5

alanc

England
Thankyou Larry, The Fern and Stu.

Stu, your photos are most helpful and I think they confirm that my #1 is a TW and #2-3 PV's

thanks again
best wishes
alan

AveryBartels

I think 3 is another Tennessee W. (Notice white undertail coverts)

I am not convinced two is a philly either -- even though it is somewhat similar to this

Niels
Bill shape on 2 and 3 rule out Tennessee Warbler. Both are indeed Philadelphia Vireos as suggested by others

Users who are viewing this thread