Phonescoping - Blurry spot in all photos - Advice (1 Viewer)

Ian Byrnes

Over the last 2 weeks a conspicuous blurred spot is appearing in all of my photos.

I use a Samsung S9 Plus (12MP) on a PhoneSkope attachment to a Zeiss Diascope 85T*FL...20-75.

To try and remedy the problem I have thoroughly cleaned all lenses on both the scope and camera, to no avail. I have tried different picture sizes, speeds, aperture settings lighting, zoom settings etc but again have not solved the problem. There are no scratches or marks on the glass and I have examined the interior of the scope and zoom with a torch....and it's as clean as a whistle. I have taken photos without the scope and the blurriness goes so feel it must be the zoom lens.

The only thing I can think of is that water has entered the lens when i was caught in a downpour a few weeks back. But...the lens should be waterproof.

Below are a few pics to demonstrate. The blurry area is to the left above each subject and is worse in higher zoom.

Has any one experienced this and is there a resolution.....your help would be appreciated?

imgonline-com-ua-resize-O5I2nnrviR8gyiHZ.jpg imgonline-com-ua-resize-5pyzD6Tw4CsF.jpg imgonline-com-ua-resize-uUzgEzZlAFg.jpg

Last edited:

Joker9937

Ian! Long time! Just popped on to look around and saw your thread.

It might have been a different issue, I guess, but I had something similar with my Samsung a few months back. I started a thread about it. I ended up returning the phone, and they replaced it. Warranty issue.

I will try and find the thread to link it here.

Ian Byrnes

Hi Scott

Yes saw your thread.....different problem I think.

I've gone to great lengths to resolve this and have eventually, to my cost.

Zeiss/Gary...Zeiss UK service centre were brilliant. Sent my zoom eyepiece to him ...3 weeks later got a brand new ( or recon. but looks new) from Zeiss Germany, which is better than the original which had oil droplets/dust on the lens. It really is very sharp now.

As for Samsung.... I bought my Galaxy S9+ new from a dealer on ebay, fully boxed at £400. I realised after checking everything that it was the phone at high zoom that was creating a blurr spot. After speaking to Samsung they arranged for a team to come to my home to repair or replace the phone then a day before coming advised that my phone didn't fit the UK warranty criteria so got neither.

I ended up trading the phone back to Samsung for £250 and buying a new S10 for £800.

After all of that though, the phone camera and new zoom work so well that I have become one of the Twitterista and display on Twitter....!!! And me a TECHNOPHOBE !

Take care...Scott.

Users who are viewing this thread