• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Photo storage when away (1 Viewer)

Hard-disk-based, and claims to do everything except straighten bent teeth, but for £100 it does appear to tick the computerless photo-backup box (see review by 'SkintDad'). Controlled by a phone app so potentially allows selective file-transfer. Maybe.

Too obvious/simple? Select files from one card, copy onto phone temporarily, copy those copies onto backup card 👍🏻
Maybe (unlike this one) there are readers in which the separate slots act as separate drives so that you can cut out one copying stage. That would be too perfect for words.

Too obvious/simple? Select files from one card, copy onto phone temporarily, copy those copies onto backup card 👍🏻
Maybe (unlike this one) there are readers in which the separate slots act as separate drives so that you can cut out one copying stage. That would be too perfect for words.
That's why I use a tablet: can put SD card in one USB port and pen drive into another. The tablet does take up space but it is useful for other reasons.

How is this an answer? Don't you still need a computer to transfer the files from card to SSD? - or do clever new cameras allow you to copy photos direct from card to a dumb storage device plugged into the camera? I know my camera couldn't do that, though it is, umm, old.
I don't see any suggestions here which are other than:
- Take plenty of cards and do without a backup.
Or...
- Take a computer.
Does there really not exist a (very) small device that one can simply plug into a camera once a day and have it auto-copy onto itself all the photos created since the last plug-in? I'd buy one.
There are SSD drives with built in SD card readers, such as this one : Amazon.com: WD 4TB My Passport Wireless Pro Portable External Hard Drive, Wifi USB 3.0 - WDBSMT0040BBK-NESN : Electronics
Alternatively, a more clumsy workaround is to download the photos to your phone and then to the SSD via the USB cable.
Your phone is a computer and this task is duck soup for it.

...SSDs that also have card readers. You can stick the card in and do a complete card backup. They don't allow for any selective transfer...
Actually, having just ploughed through a user guide, I can report that some (at least) do allow selective transfer: you can set them up so that all you have to do is plug a card in and all the new files (only) will be automatically copied 👍🏻 Marvelous - if 10?x more expensive than a USB hub.

Actually, having just ploughed through a user guide, I can report that some (at least) do allow selective transfer: you can set them up so that all you have to do is plug a card in and all the new files (only) will be automatically copied
Please provide an example.

how does anyone store photos when they are away from their computer and/or unable to get a signal for cloud storage for a few weeks?
An external SSD with SD card reader needs electrical energy, not easy available when away from a computer, therefore away from electrical sources.
A tablet has a good battery, can host software for selective backup and is reliable.
It seems the tablet is the solution, as already suggested.

An external HDD is sensible to shocks and threfore not reliable.

An external SSD with SD card reader needs electrical energy, not easy available when away from a computer, therefore away from electrical sources
Electricity supply isn't a problem. As a camera-user you will, necessarily, already have worked out solutions for yourself - the obvious general ones being a) a powerbank and b) adaptors/cables for in-vehicle charging. In addition, SSDs with card-reader incorporated often have their own battery.
A tablet . . . can host software for selective backup
Two of the other non-computer solutions I outline above also have this functionality.
An external HDD is sensible to shocks and threfore not reliable
So don't hit/drop it - same as you wouldn't with your laptop/camera/bins/whatever. They're perfectly reliable in real-world use (not that anyone here is suggesting using one anyway).
It seems the tablet is the solution
There is no 'the' solution here. Different options will suit different circumstances, preferences and purses.
I am greatly heartened to have discovered as a result of this thread that there are highly workable ways of doing what I previously thought could not be done without carrying a computer (ie tablet or bigger) around.

Electricity supply isn't a problem.
Not so sure, but let each one of us decide this.

They're perfectly reliable in real-world use
This is about portable HDD, right? A portable HDD transported daily in town can fail after one year of use.

There is no 'the' solution here. Different options will suit different circumstances, preferences and purses.
In general, yes. But the OP has some defined conditions, not "different ..."
You ignore the "it seems" part.
I tray to answer the original question.

I am greatly heartened to have discovered as a result of this thread that there are highly workable ways of doing what I previously thought could not be done without carrying a computer (ie tablet or bigger) around.
Excellent.

Let me add a criterion: the speed transfer.
Also, the WD External HDD is no more in production and I would not buy such peripheral, HDD or not.

Last edited:
the WD External HDD is no more in production
That link covers both HDD and SSD products.
Something that was in production recently, and now isn't, is highly likely to have been replaced by something that's even better and more flexible - not worse.
You seem keen to raise niggles that don't actually bear on the plausibility/practicality of options which are presented here for thought and discussion. It's not a contest.
I would not buy such peripheral, HDD or not
I fear I don't see the point of this comment (no offence). You make the mistake of thinking that I am trying to convince you, personally, of opting for a particular option. I'm not.

I have about 1 million photos so far (mostly unrelated to birding). There were only a few instances where I lost some images. Never had a complete card failure.

So, even for prolonged trips I take enough cards to store all photos (currently about 1TB in ~10 cards).

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back