• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Photographic equipment for rainforest trip (1 Viewer)

SLopezM

Sergio López Martín
Hello everyone! As I have already mentioned in other posts, I will be visiting Peru in the coming months. My trip will last about six months and, although I will try to visit different areas within the country, I will spend most of the time in the rainforest (specifically, in Manú National Park). Because of this, and the fact that I will be there during the rainy season, I would like to ask you for advice (especially those of you with experience in rainforest birdwatching and photography under these environmental conditions) about the photographic equipment I should carry with me during this trip.

Currently, I have the following photographic equipment (the combination I use the most during my birding trips is the one marked in bold):

-Nikon D5300
-Nikon Nikkor AF-S DX 18-55 mm f:3.5-5.6G VR II
-Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR
-Nikon AF-S Nikkor 200-500mm f/5.6E ED VR

This equipment has accompanied me to other rainforest areas such as Costa Rica or Yucatán, although during much shorter trips. However, since this equipment is already old and worn out, it is not waterproof and I have a big trip ahead of me, I am thinking about buying a new photographic equipment. I would like to find something that has at least similar features to the ones of my current equipment (especially the one marked in bold), although including if possible the new technologies that have emerged in the last years (mirrorless cameras, etc.). In addition, here is a list of other important features I would like to have in my new equipment:

-A waterproof equipment, so that I can take pictures under the rain without any problem. This is an indispensable feature due to the nature of my trip.

-My budget is of approximately 2000 euros. I prefer not to buy second-hand equipment or to buy from unofficial sites.

-Finding a new equipment that is compatible with my current lenses would be a great point, although not essencial. In fact (although I would prefer not to do it), I am considering the option of selling my current equipment to slightly increase my budget.

-Low light conditions have always been an issue in my rainforest trips. The more the new equipment avoids this problem, the better (although I know that the more luminosity you get, the higher the price is).

-As I have already mentioned, I would like to buy at least one new camera and a new telephoto lens. I would prefer the two to be compatible, in order to avoid spending more money on adapters.

-Any other recommendations? I don't know if I should carry a tripod with me or not. I know it would be a good idea for those lower light situations, but the less gear I carry the better (I have never carried a tripod on my previous trips, although I am open to suggestions and may start a new post about it). On the other hand, if all of the above is unfeasible due to my budget, I have in mind the option of using a raincover for my current equipment. Once again, I have never used this type of solution, but it doesn't seem comfortable for long hikes or treks. In addition, since my current gear is old and worn out, I believe it would be a big risk to rely only on these protective plastics.

In any case, any help is welcome. I have been disconnected from the world of photography for a long time, as I bought my current equipment almost ten years ago and I have barely looked at any new information since then. Thank you all for your help and for reading this far, best regards!

P.S.: I am not sure if I should post this here. Sorry if it is not the right place.

A Canon R7 & a 100-400 RF lens would just keep you below 2000. It seems to be a very nice combination, and from what I have seen should give fabulous results. Claimed to be water proof, but hmmmm, maybe be careful regardless.

The 100-400rf canon looks to have max aperture of f/8 at 400mm – so quite slow for rainforest use. But I don't fault the recommendation because meeting all your criteria at that budget is going to be a challenge!

You might want to consider micro 4/3 cameras, especially if weight is a consideration. They are all mirrorless and many are weather sealed; they are also generally lighter than canikon setups and give you the 2x crop factor for more "reach." Sensor and image quality are vastly improved from when you last purchased your gear, and some bird tour companies now supply them to all their guides because of their advantages. I haven't used the particular camera model (I use the Olympus em1 mkii), but if you really want to buy new maybe look at the Olympus OM-5 and either the Olympus 100-400 mm lens (or if you want something lighter with similar quality – the Panasonic-Leica 100-400 mm). With the 2x crop factor of micro 4/3 mirrorless cameras, these are 200-800 mm full frame equivalent lenses. The lenses are fairly slow also – maximum aperture f6.3, but I have used the latter successfully in rainforests. Whatever you get, you're probably going to want to invest in dedicated noise reduction software, e.g. DxO pureraw. The software should give you more improvement in image quality per dollar than anything else.

First of all, thank you both for your answers.

Regarding the budget, I can afford something above 2000 euros and even hover around 3000 if I sell my current equipment (something I would do if the new gear met most of the requirements and allowed me to be satisfied with it). Initially, I indicated a budget of about 2000 euros because it isn't rare that people suggest better equipment for prices slightly over the budget and I didn't want to be "green with envy". But perhaps it would have been more accurate to indicate a budget of about 2000-3000 euros.

On the other hand, I have a couple of technical questions Jim. First of all, I'm a bit lost with the term "micro 4/3 cameras". What is the relationship between these and SLR cameras, mirrorless cameras or other types of gear? Secondly, how can I calculate the crop factor of my actual gear in order to compare it to the 2x crop factor you mention in your suggestion?

There are 3 main sensor sizes for interchangeable lens cameras from largest to smallest--full frame, APSC, and 4/3rds. Full frame has no crop factor, aps-c has 1.4x, and 4/3rds has 2x. Your current camera is APSC. Micro 4/3 interchangeable lens cameras are only made by Panasonic and OMD (formerly Olympus). Micro 4/3rds have always been mirrorless – they are basically the original mirrorless interchangeable lens camera developed as a lighter weight alternative to DSLR's.

With an increased budget, you could look at the Olympus EM-1 mkii or mkiii – though the latest OM-1, which has bird AI to help with focusing, would be stretching your budget. There is also the Panasonic DS 9, but I have no experience with it.

Thanks for the explanations Jim.

Regarding the equipment, I have taken a look to the OM-1 camera and the Olympus 100-400 mm lens. It may be a little over budget, but I might try to get it if I can't find another option. However, I am not sure about the protection of this equipment against water. I cannot find details on the level of protection beyond comments about it withstanding splashes. But...will this be enough for it to be used under heavy rain? Is there, in fact, any equipment capable of withstanding heavy rain or is this not a realistic idea?

Thanks for the explanations Jim.

Regarding the equipment, I have taken a look to the OM-1 camera and the Olympus 100-400 mm lens. It may be a little over budget, but I might try to get it if I can't find another option. However, I am not sure about the protection of this equipment against water. I cannot find details on the level of protection beyond comments about it withstanding splashes. But...will this be enough for it to be used under heavy rain? Is there, in fact, any equipment capable of withstanding heavy rain or is this not a realistic idea?
I've used my em-1 mkii in rain several times. Never had any problem. The OM-1 is supposed to have improved weather sealing beyond that. I think they don't call it waterproof because they don't want people to think they can shoot underwater with it--which is possible with the Oly TG-6, for example.

Without going into budget etc, OM have made advertising where they say their weather proofing is at a higher standard than any other camera system. The image stabilization seems also to be at the top of the line (seems because I do not have the personal experience of comparing multiple brands in my own hands).

Regarding the lack of light in the rainforest, take a look at the video included in this link:

Disclaimer: I shoot Panasonic, but I am slowly talking myself into needing to switch to the OM1.
Niels

I recently returned from three months in the Amazon in Peru. Regardless of which brand of camera you use, it is a good idea to protect it from very high humidity. My telephoto lens became very stiff, and difficult to zoom in and out due to humidity. I was aware of this before I went, and I purchased a lot of humidity-absorbing material, such as silica gel. At night, while sleeping I put my camera equipment in a plastic bag with the silica get to absorb moisture. It works. Buy small containers that have space to store the water that they absorb, not the little packets with no space for water. Also bought a bag of extra pellets to refill the little plastic contains after they become saturated. Simply dump the water and pellets out and reuse them. The pellets can be used a few times before they need to be replaced. These containers are designed to be used only once and disposed of, but I had no problem reusing them several times.

Buy small containers that have space to store the water that they absorb, not the little packets with no space for water
That's a good idea Maroon Jay. Could you please include a link to the containers you are referring to so I can be sure I am buying the correct ones?

Regarding the idea of using a raincover or protective plastic... what are your suggestions or opinions? As I said before, I have never used these, but they don't seem comfortable for long hikes. Therefore... are they worth it?

That's a good idea Maroon Jay. Could you please include a link to the containers you are referring to so I can be sure I am buying the correct ones?
Here is a like to show you what they look like. https://www.amazon.ca/pack-MOISTURE...ocphy=9001353&hvtargid=pla-350685733873&psc=1
However, this is $64 for eight of them, plus shipping from Amazon. You only need two, plus a bag of silicon pellets to refill them. Just dump the water out. The silicon can be reused a few times and then dump it out also. We bought them at a local supermarket for about $5 each plus $10 for a two-kilo bag of pellets to refill them. You may not be able to get the exact same ones in Europe, but I am sure they have something similar. The ones from Amazon are expensive, and you don't need eight of them. Don't get ones that have no space to store the water that they absorb.

I really, really wonder if this is necessary. I live in Barbados, where the humidity is high 8-9 month a year, and I do not use something like this -- and my camera equipment lives in a room open to the environment 24/7 (no AC). I have yet to have camera equipment fail due to humidity after living 20 years in the Caribbean. I have had a lens which was lying for a long time (several years) untouched grow moldy.

My impression is that the worst thing you can do is bring your equipment directly from an AC room into a humid environment on a daily basis.
Niels

Hi there... We are and have been Nikon users since decades ago. And we are Costa Rican photographers so we are very familiar with all your camera gear, the good and bad about them. Also extremely familiar with photographic challenges.
Number one D500 it's a superb camera along with Topaz Denoise. A monopod is very handy and will give you a few stops down/up. The best monopod we found is made by Feisol. Check their website. Keep the 200-500 or get a 500mm 5.6 PF it's lighter and razor sharp. As for general photography such as bugs, landscapes and others. A used 70-200 mm VR1 and an inexpensive 20 mm 2.8 or/and a 50 mm 1.8. That is all you would really need.
Hope this helps you,
Randall Ortega
www.naturegroupcr.com

My impression is that the worst thing you can do is bring your equipment directly from an AC room into a humid environment on a daily basis.
I did have a problem with humidity one time in Peru. My telephoto lens became difficult to zoom in and out. Putting it in a bag with silicon desiccant solved the problem. But I did not have a room with AC. I agree taking equipment from an AC room to high humidity is bad. What did you do about that?

I did have a problem with humidity one time in Peru. My telephoto lens became difficult to zoom in and out. Putting it in a bag with silicon desiccant solved the problem. But I did not have a room with AC. I agree taking equipment from an AC room to high humidity is bad. What did you do about that?
Some people keep their camera gear inside the bathroom when they run AC.

As I said, I live without AC. When in a hotel, I set the temperature higher if at all possible so the equipment does not have a great temperature difference when going back out.
Niels

If wanting to go the dessicant route, note that there are all sizes of reusable desicant packs (typically metal with color-change dessicant material) that you can dry-out by placing in an oven etc. Google 'gun safe dessicant'...

As you are doing photography, so it as easy just use dry bags , rain cover for backpack, an extra rain cover backpack to leave the bag on the ground.
Use desiccant bag large size to put it into your lens storage after every trip, I use a plastic box for that, simple and it works right in the hotel, defrog will be fast in the morning or just leave it 15 seconds then swipe it.
Usually I will use medicine anti-mosquito and leeches to spray around my backpack (each day I spend 1 item on rainy day and 2-3 days for 1 item on less rainy day). Here is photo reference, there is skin cream and there is spray, I use spray inside and outside external sleeve, it keep insect out of me also leeches stay away, put it on your bags, backpack, a bit on pant below your butt :D and on your rubber boot (waterproof boot) where near your pant with the rubber boot meet to avoid anything go inside
2d57901c6941ab4dd718af04cd3bad3d_tn

My go-to camera for rainforest is Sony FX3 the best low light but I do the filming, FX3 is not a photography camera. However, the main point I would want to say while I capture under a low dense canopy like below the bush, ISO can easily go up to over 20K (the Sony FX3 has dual ISO so at 800 and 12800 ISO it will give a clean result). If you get a good photo by sunlight then everything is good. If you capture in rain you will need to rank up more ISO for faster shutter speed.
For Sony A1 or A9 would help much in rainforest, most of the high-end cameras you can leave it under rain water, comeback to hotel room then clean it, will be ok, weather seal is good. Usually, I bring a rain cover (for my backpack) and cover it if the water to dense, if I can't do it, I am okay for water raining over as long as it not splash from below up to the battery place, here is the video under rain from Sony A1 camera for your reference:

And here is the rain cover over my filming camera while I am staying the hideout, sitting on the mud with leech and earthworm, the rain cover is just a simple one used for backpack, and that cover is mainly used for the field monitor external which is not weather seal feature, naked HDMI cable

here is rain cover for backpack

04047836f4c6c630406673edbfae61aa.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back