• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Photographic Site Locations (1 Viewer)

Good evening, the reason I have joined this site is so that I can tap into the considerable knowledge and expertise in relation to the best location to view and photograph birds of interest. Currently, I live in West Yorkshire, but am willing to travel in order to be able to get some great photos of various “birds of wonder” that live within the UK.
Presently, I am interested in getting some shots of Hen Harriers. I understand that the Forest of Bowland is one such area, where one might find them nesting and hence flying. I toured this region this afternoon, and believe I heard their distinctive call, but had no sighting. If anyone has any specific knowledge of location, or particular spots they are likely to nest, it would be appreciated.
Thank you in anticipation of your reply.
Kind regards

Hen Harriers are a species which are subject to persecution, and so you will find an understandable reluctance to give out site details to people they do not know. The other point is that they often move from their breeding locations to winter elsewhere. Please understand that this is not for one moment suggesting that you are not telling the truth about your motivation, but those who may be able to help will not take the risk on an open forum. Good luck in your quest; they are a fantastic species that I love seeing at their winter roost.

If you want a holiday trip, Hen Harriers are easy to see and photograph in the Western Isles. A late spring/early summer trip to North Uist will yield cooperative Hen Harriers, Short Eared Owls and slightly less cooperative Corncrakes.

Hen Harriers are a species which are subject to persecution, and so you will find an understandable reluctance to give out site details to people they do not know. The other point is that they often move from their breeding locations to winter elsewhere. Please understand that this is not for one moment suggesting that you are not telling the truth about your motivation, but those who may be able to help will not take the risk on an open forum. Good luck in your quest; they are a fantastic species that I love seeing at their winter roost.
Dear Welsh Peregrine, thank you for your response. I am well aware that Hen Harriers are subject to persecution, but then, in that regard, many other birds are in a similar position. If everyone was suspicious of a simple request, from everyone on sites like these, asking legitimate questions, then, by definition, these sorts of forums would die a death overnight. So if you have any information in relation to hen harriers local to myself, I would be appreciative of being in receipt of your knowledge.
Kind regards

If you want a holiday trip, Hen Harriers are easy to see and photograph in the Western Isles. A late spring/early summer trip to North Uist will yield cooperative Hen Harriers, Short Eared Owls and slightly less cooperative Corncrakes.
Thank you for that information. I will definitely keep that in mind for next Spring.
Kind regards

Hi Chirofauna and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators. As others have said, information regarding breeding sites for Hen Harriers (and some other species) are not given out on open forums, they're just in too much danger.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

Hi, welcome to the forum. I think you will find us a friendly and helpful group.

Good evening, the reason I have joined this site is so that I can tap into the considerable knowledge and expertise in relation to the best location to view and photograph birds of interest. Currently, I live in West Yorkshire, but am willing to travel in order to be able to get some great photos of various “birds of wonder” that live within the UK.
Presently, I am interested in getting some shots of Hen Harriers. I understand that the Forest of Bowland is one such area, where one might find them nesting and hence flying. I toured this region this afternoon, and believe I heard their distinctive call, but had no sighting. If anyone has any specific knowledge of location, or particular spots they are likely to nest, it would be appreciated.
Thank you in anticipation of your reply.
Kind regards
Please have a look at this. You can click 'Show points sooner' for a better view. Red points mark the most recent sightings (in the last 30 days).

The advice about ebird is the best that can be given.
Do know that they are nomadic and sometimes don't stay in one place for long during the winter. Probably the best place to see them is at an East Coast winter roost. Wicken Fen is usually quite reliable and has staff which can point them out, although views are almost the worst possible! Roydon Common is another well-publicised site. But these may disappoint, in fact, the best place to see hen harriers is a chance encounter at a good reserve, like what happened with me.
Other than that, indeed, a trip to an isle in Scotland, Mull perhaps, is likely to provide views exponentially better than anywhere on the mainland.
Please do not attempt to view them in the breeding season, nor draw attention to them at that time

Corncrakes are a nightmare

Hen Harrier and Short-eared Owl (and Bittern) are being photographed well most days on the Wirral coast at Parkgate.

I would suggest subscribing to one of the news services for local news.
Additionally get to the local reserves, meet other birders and get local information and access onto local WhatsApp groups

Hen Harrier and Short-eared Owl (and Bittern) are being photographed well most days on the Wirral coast at Parkgate.

I would suggest subscribing to one of the news services for local news.
Additionally get to the local reserves, meet other birders and get local information and access onto local WhatsApp groups
Did someone say 'short-eared owl'?
Look no further than Eldernell. And please respect the birds, otherwise next year they won't respect anyone.
And yes, if not ebird, inaturalist is also great

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back