• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Photos (1 Viewer)

Surreybirder

Ken Noble
When I started mothing about 20 years ago, the camera you had to have was the Nikon Coolpix 4800. It was excellent for macro-work and not too expensive. I wonder what the equivalent camera is today? I'd love to get a camera that was no more than £400 (UK) which would take photos of equivalent detail. I have recently been using my wife's Canon HS40 bridge camera which isn't too bad but it just doesn't capture anything smaller than about 10 mms long. I'll post a couple of photos for comparison. The first is with the Coolpix and the second with the Canon.

Attachments

• Alabonia jeffrella ex0719 (1200)_edited.jpg
    Alabonia jeffrella ex0719 (1200)_edited.jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 10
  • hawthorn shieldbug ex IMG_20557_edited_edited.jpg
    hawthorn shieldbug ex IMG_20557_edited_edited.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 10
Problems with lights sensors for me, over exposure is a real issue and most really good images I've taken were of dark specimens. I've had the TG 2-4 and 6 and it's been an issue across the lot.
Is there anything that can be done to ameliorate the problem - filter or something?

Is there anything that can be done to ameliorate the problem - filter or something?
I've never managed to get on top of it, it's really frustrating some times. If you have a subject which has any shiny reflection or a moth such as the Satin Moth, I've has do much trouble getting decent shots.

Dark subjets are fineanf I've some great results with this camera.

I'll make a suggestion, look for the 'super macro' setting on you phones camera, modern phone cameras are at least as good as th TG range IMO.

Last edited:
"I'll make a suggestion, look for the 'super macro setting on you phones camera, modern phone cameras are at least as good as th TG range IMO."
I'm afraid my phone isn't that good.

I have just seen this thred. I use a combination of the TG 6 with a diffuser that works really well and then my main camera is a Canon with a 100mm macro lens and the dual macro flash. On the whole I do use the big camera but increasingly due to an on going issue with my neck and right shoulder / arm I am using the TG6 as it is light and easy to hold. Find both very effective and can produce fantastic images

My wife got me the TR-6 for Christmas. I had to take a couple of shots just to make sure it was working. I've obviously not fully got the hang of it yet but quite pleased with preliminary efforts. (I've only taken about 30 shots thus far.)

Attachments

• orange ladybird ex PC060016_edited.jpg
    orange ladybird ex PC060016_edited.jpg
    153.1 KB · Views: 5
Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back