• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Photoshop. Marrying two Photos. (1 Viewer)

smeltmill

Dear all,

I would like to superimpose a picture of a Kite over a picture of a viaduct and have suitable photographs of both subjects.

The problem/challenge – I have no idea how to do it.

Could some one be kind enough to take me through the process step by step.

I have Photoshop CS2 running on a Mac

Regards Gordon.

There are probably several ways of doing it but I would do something like this:

Open both images.
Create a new layer on the viaduct photo.
Go back to the kite photo and zoom right in on the kite.
Create a selection round the kite (I would probably use Quick Mask for this)
Copy the selection
Go to the viaduct photo and activate the new layer
Paste the selection onto that layer
Zoom in on the kite on the new layer
Make sure the layer with the kite is active and resize and move the kite as necessary
Use a soft brush of suitable diameter and use the eraser tool to nibble away any remaining background surrounding the kite from the original photograph
If the edges look too obvious use the blur tool with suitable settings to soften the edges
Make any colour or tonal adjustments to the kite layer
When you are happy save it as a Photoshop file with the layers intact so you can make further adjustments later if required
Flatten the image into one layer and save as a new Tiff or EPS file

I think that is roughly how I would do it but I am sure others will have alternative methods.

Edit. It's best to work on copies of both files so that you still have the originals if things go badly wrong.

Ron

Last edited:
There are probably several ways of doing it but I would do something like this:

Open both images.
Create a new layer on the viaduct photo.
Go back to the kite photo and zoom right in on the kite.
Create a selection round the kite (I would probably use Quick Mask for this)
Copy the selection
Go to the viaduct photo and activate the new layer
Paste the selection onto that layer
Zoom in on the kite on the new layer
Make sure the layer with the kite is active and resize and move the kite as necessary
Use a soft brush of suitable diameter and use the eraser tool to nibble away any remaining background surrounding the kite from the original photograph
If the edges look too obvious use the blur tool with suitable settings to soften the edges
Make any colour or tonal adjustments to the kite layer
When you are happy save it as a Photoshop file with the layers intact so you can make further adjustments later if required
Flatten the image into one layer and save as a new Tiff or EPS file

I think that is roughly how I would do it but I am sure others will have alternative methods.

Edit. It's best to work on copies of both files so that you still have the originals if things go badly wrong.

Ron

What you say is quite true Ron, but from the way the gentleman states his case, he knows very little about Photoshop, so most likely will not be able to follow your instructions unless you direct him to the various ares necessary, and the tools to use.

If the background of the kite image is of an even colour, ie. the sky, then you could select the sky with the Magic Wand tool found in the Toolbox. Zoom out to 100%, so that you can see if you have any artifacts left behind, if you do, go to the select menu click on Modify, you will see Expand and Contract, click the Expand, in the dialogue box choose 1 megapixel click OK. this should pull your selection in, if not enough repeat. the go to Select Feather, enter a figure of 1, this will soften the edge, then proceed as Ron says.
But I do not understand why you would save as a Tiff or EPS file. you might just as well save it as a PDS file with all layers intact, then you can readjust everything at anytime, you can make a jpeg copy anytime you wish to load to web. Ernie

Last edited:
What you say is quite true Ron, but from the way the gentleman states his case, he knows very little about Photoshop, so most likely will not be able to follow your instructions unless you direct him to the various ares necessary, and the tools to use.
Ernie

Ah, but we don't want to give away all the trade secrets at once, Ernie, or my already meagre income will disappear altogether.;)

Edit. CS2 should come with step by step tutorials and there is the in-built Photoshop Help.

Ron

Last edited:
But I do not understand why you would save as a Tiff or EPS file. you might just as well save it as a PDS file with all layers intact, then you can readjust everything at anytime, you can make a jpeg copy anytime you wish to load to web. Ernie

That's probably force of habit, Ernie. Being involved in printing, some of the earlier pagemaking programs like Quark wouldn't import Photoshop files into picture boxes or if they did they could have problems printing them out. The latest versions of Quark are meant to be able to import Photoshop files but I still find it less problematic to save them off as EPSs or TIFFs first.

I guess I'm getting old and set in my ways.;)

Ron

Dear Ron and Ernie,

Thank you for your prompt replies.
I have made a start thanks to you, and so far made a rather primitive job but thoroughly enjoying myself.

Regards Gordon

Dear Ron and Ernie,

Thank you for your prompt replies.
I have made a start thanks to you, and so far made a rather primitive job but thoroughly enjoying myself.

Regards Gordon

That's the way, Gordon.

You'll find out much more experimenting by yourself than by us telling you "Do this. Now do this". As long as you've saved copies of the original you can always undo any mistakes. If you get stuck, try the Photoshop Help.

Have fun.

Ron

Ok Ron understood, believe you me I up there among the best when it comes to getting old.
Just go for it Gordon, we all learn by mistakes so you had better make a few to get yourself on the right track. Good Luck Ernie

Ernie, I have just realised that if Gordon follows your explanation of how to use the Magic Wand tool he will end up selecting the sky instead of the kite. You need to add 'Select Inverse' at the end.

One up to me?;)

Ron

Ernie, I have just realised that if Gordon follows your explanation of how to use the Magic Wand tool he will end up selecting the sky instead of the kite. You need to add 'Select Inverse' at the end.

One up to me?;)

Ron

OK Ron I will concede that one, told you I was up there with the best didn't I. Ernie

Dear Ron and Ernie,

Progress report.

Thank you. I have achieved it and even resisted the temptation to write when there was a hiccup.

I can’t imagine becoming a PS buff, I enjoy being out there doing it to much in fact Mrs. G B-S. who is the real photographer, and I have just retuned from three months on the Outer Isles. You can imagine the backlog of pictures.

Thank you once again.
Gordon.

Gordon,I think the info you were given on WPF was very helpful,esp the image constructed by Saphire,it was perfect.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back