• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Columbia

Phylloscopus (Golden-spectacled Warbler complex) Song ID, Dali, Yunnan, China (1 Viewer)

mzwebby

July 2021. While birding this month encountered two different singing warblers in the Bianchi's/Marten's/Gray-cheeked/Gray-crowned/White-spectacled complex. Two separate song recordings.

The first recording was taken at about 2700m altitude along the Jade Belt trail on Cangshan Mountain in Dali, Yunnan.
The second recording was taken at about 2200m near the Wuwei temple, which is in the Cangshan area.

Didn't get any distinctive visual features on either bird. I wondered whether the seeming introductory note in the first recording might indicate Gray-crowned Warbler?

Mike

Attachments

• Phylloscopus #1.mp3
    151.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Phylloscopus #2.mp3
    324.4 KB · Views: 0

mzwebby

Here is a 3rd sound clip from the same location that I just discovered. This one contains a number of trills.

Attachments

• Phylloscopus #3.mp3
    353.4 KB · Views: 0

andyb39

I haven't had time yet to listen to these recordings and compare to others. I do seem to recall that the song of Grey-crowned contains trills, while that of Bianchi's is simpler. I'll try to find time to listen later.

ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Columbia

Users who are viewing this thread