• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Phylloscopus ibericus call? - Ibiza (Spain) (1 Viewer)

yarrellii

Supporter
Heard it earlier today, 20.03.2022 in a wet valley of the island of Ibiza (Es Broll de Buscastell).
Birdnet identified it "almost certain" as a P. ibericus, but then, we all know Birdnet suggests funny odd things sometimes. However, back home I've done some research and actually the call of the P. ibericus sounds just like what I heard.

I've tried attaching a sound file (first time I try doing this in Birdforum, my apologies if this didn't work properly). Sound quality is pretty awful (smartphone), but I think you can hear the constant beep. The sound was a little mellower, and I'd say that it ended up with a very slightly lower pitch than the recording, otherwise extremely similar to other recordings of P ibericus I've been able to locate. I'm not aware of other similar call. What do you make of it? Maybe another warbler might be the culprit?

Thanks for any input!

View attachment P_ibericus_audio.mp3

Hello,
I remember a similar thread here some time ago, where it became evident, that its hard to be sure of the exact call (quality, nunances ...), when similar calls like here are involved.
Please consider also the "swii-oo" calling Chiffchaffs here, too. I think its one "Chiffchaffs" of those two indeed. But I think this is one for those with much experience with Iberian CC calls and very good devices.

@Alexander Stöhr Thank you very much for the input, really interesting. Common chiffchaff is usually easy to tell around here, while this was not the common sound. But it's a tough one. I'll try to go back again to see if I get luckier. Thanks!

It recalls to me a lot an ibericus call, which would be a rare record for the Balearics, I think.
As A. Stöhr says you have to beware of downslurred calls from collybita, so a call like this is not diagnostic of ibericus for me as others claim it is. In the field, song remains the best clue to separate both sps.

Here's your call call compared to three randomly selected Iberian chiffs from within Iberian core range. To me, they fit very nicely. As said above, 'sweeooo' chiffs are a potential issue here, but they tend to have a more obvious 'upslur' at the beginning of the call (i.e. the rising element 'swee' is often as long and prominent as the falling element 'ooo') and the apex of these calls is usually nicely rounded, rather than sharp.

'Sweeoo' actually covers several call structures. The most Iberian like is usually produced by young birds.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-03-22 at 10.01.05.png
    Screenshot 2022-03-22 at 10.01.05.png
    356 KB · Views: 12
Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back