• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Phylloscopus Turkey (1 Viewer)

Valéry Schollaert

Respect animals, don't eat or wear their body or s
Hi everyone,

I'd like you have your opinion about the species and, if possible, the subspecies of this warbler taken today at 1200m asl in Uzungöl, North-Eastern Turkey. They were at least 3 identical individuals in the same bush.

Thanks !

Attachments

• phylloscopus_bf.JPG
    phylloscopus_bf.JPG
    172.8 KB · Views: 122
Hello Valery,
I think its a Willow Warbler: good head pattern with long and broad supercilium and pale ear-coverts, strong bill with large pale base and the right wing structure. This is all in relation to Common Chiffchaff.
Such pale and greyish Willow Warblers are more common in eastern forms, and I think ssp acredula is common/the default form in NE_Turkey? I dont have personal experience with far eastern ssp yakutensis, but according to literature, only birds with a large pp and lacking any yellow tones to the breast can be identified with confidence. As your bird seems to have a normal/median pp and a yellowish wash to the breast, I think its better to call your bird a "Willow Warbler showing characteristics of ssp acredula".
Dark legs are said to be more common in this ssp

Last edited:
Hello Valery,
I think its a Willow Warbler: good head pattern with long and broad supercilium and pale ear-coverts, strong bill with large pale base and the right wing structure. This is all in relation to Common Chiffchaff.
Such pale and greyish Willow Warblers are more common in eastern forms, and I think ssp acredula is common/the default form in NE_Turkey? I dont have personal experience with far eastern ssp yakutensis, but according to literature, only birds with a large pp and lacking any yellow tones to the breast can be identified with confidence. As your bird seems to have a normal/median pp and a yellowish wash to the breast, I think its better to call your bird a "Willow Warbler showing characteristics of ssp acredula".
Dark legs are said to be more common in this ssp

Great, yes, this what I thought. I've seen more saturated birds (looking like classic trochilus) earlier in the season (I'm in Turkey since 2 months) ; no WW since 3 weeks (while I see Green Warbler and Mountain Chiffy in the area). Seeing 3 or 4 WW together suddenly, all paler than earlier birds, just opened some questions in my head... kind of second wave ? 8-P

Thanks Alexander.

Hello Valery,
interesting observations, thanks for sharing. Please note, that ssp acredula and trochilus have different migration strategies. Interesting links and comments from Jochen Dierschke are here: https://www.club300.de/gallery/idforum_topic.php?id=46419 (in German, I think I posted this here before). And I remember a recent thread, where Tom Conzemius added an aspect of ssp identification, that included different migration strategies taken into account when considering subspecies identification: https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?p=4070316
I think its also helpfull here.

Hello Valery,
interesting observations, thanks for sharing. Please note, that ssp acredula and trochilus have different migration strategies. Interesting links and comments from Jochen Dierschke are here: https://www.club300.de/gallery/idforum_topic.php?id=46419 (in German, I think I posted this here before). And I remember a recent thread, where Tom Conzemius added an aspect of ssp identification, that included different migration strategies taken into account when considering subspecies identification: https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?p=4070316
I think its also helpfull here.

Very interesting, thanks.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back