• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Phylloscopus Warbler-Greece (1 Viewer)

Tsalapeteinos

While birding out yesterday, at the Hymmetus mountainin Attiki I saw a warbler that had me wondering. I initially saw this bird as it flew above me and looking at it through my binoculars while in flight it had a very bright yellow green rump. I was very enthusiastic as I thought of a possible Eastern Bonelli's. It landed in a eucalyptus tree where I continued to watch it eating insects. One behaviour I noticed was that it often took to chasing insects in flight and would sometimes hover. The bird was of a greyish brown colour with a wide supercilium extending beyond the eye, had a yellow green alula and its under tail coverts were also tinged yellow.Those were the most prominent features of its plumage. Its legs were dark coloured though not completely black. I was wondering if perhaps it could be a drab Wood warbler, a more common bird in greece, due to the supercilium which is not something I can see as a prominent feature of E.B in my guide. But can a Wood warbler have such a bright rump? It was the one feature I noted because it was very prominent, but perhaps the worn out plumage of a Wood Warbler might make the rump stand out? Then again wouldn't the rump also be slightly worn ? Thanks for taking the time to read my amateur questions and if someone can make something of this bad description I would be very grateful .

Supercilium is not good for E Bonelli's. Sounds like a Wood or Willow Warbler. Yellow tinged undertail coverts are better for Willow.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back