• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Phylloscopus warbler, Sichuan, China (1 Viewer)

orientaldkf

Hi all, took this Phylloscopus warbler in Daocheng, Sichuan, China in May (around 2800-3100m). Initially identified this as Greenish Warbler, but upon reviewing my photos again I'm rather unsure on how to separate this from Two-barred Warbler. There is no visible crown stripe on the bird (in other photos as well).

Appreciate any help and thanks!

Attachments

• DSC_8362-2.jpg
    DSC_8362-2.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 39
  • DSC_8360-2.jpg
    DSC_8360-2.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 39
  • DSC_8358-2.jpg
    DSC_8358-2.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 39
Last edited:
It's a Greenish as you initially concluded IMO, in spite of the rather strong greater covert wing bar and suggestion of a median covert bar; upper parts are the wrong tone with a contrasting darker crown, underparts not clean (white) enough and bill looks to slight for Two-barred.
Compare https://macaulaylibrary.org/asset/2...53.525019114.1612173147-2021484583.1612173147

Regarding ssp., resident race should be trochiloides at this location, though a rather broad greater covert bar (occasionally stronger than plumbeitarsus) is said to be a feature of fresh obscuratus which may pass through the region.

Grahame

Thanks Grahame, appreciate you pointing out the features to look out for. Never noticed the difference in bill and crown colour! I admit the strong lower wing bar and hint of a upper wing bar did throw me off.

Went to look through more photos and guides of both species, seems like Greenish is duller overall as well and the broad lower wing bars in Greenish (when they do appear) tend to be much shorter than that of Two-barred (from Identification of Two-barred, Greenish, Bright-green and Arctic Warblers by van der Vliet et al. (2001) for anyone interested).

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back