• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Columbia

Pied flycatcher - juvenile or female? [Mönchengladbach, Germany] (1 Viewer)

David_

Germany
Hello,

I took this photo today near Mönchengladbach. Is this a female Pied flycatcher or a juvenile?

Thank you
David

Attachments

• P1140249.jpeg
    P1140249.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 39
  • P1140255.jpeg
    P1140255.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 39

Butty

Juvenile pied flycatchers are all spotty/scaly - despite what the books may (fail to) tell you - so it's not one of those. But if it's early enough for it to have moulted (I've no idea), it might be a 1st-winter - though I doubt you'd be able to tell that, in these photos, from an adult female.

David_

Germany
Thanks. My Guidebook (Collins) doesn‘t show juvenile plumage and an online image search didn‘t really help a lot.
As this was an really unexpected find (just 1km from my parents house and my father who is interested in birds wasn‘t aware of it) I was asking myself if it‘s just a single a female or if there might have been a breeding pair in the area.

David_

Germany
I'd guess it's a bit early for significant post-breeding dispersal, so presence is likely to indicate breeding nearby
You are probably right.

My father will check the area a bit more frequently to see if there are other pied flycatchers around, as this is a bird you don‘t see in many places around here.

ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Columbia

Users who are viewing this thread